Monday, February 27, 2006

Puppy IQ

Crazy Train (of thought)

Meagan has informed me you can tell if you are sick or not by the sound of your poop splashing in the toilet. Says it’s something she learned on Oprah. I hope she remembers her homework, too.

I had the pleasure of photographing a half-dozen beautiful women over the weekend. They had come together to help me with a project, and I was so grateful (or didn’t want to part with them) I offered to take them all to lunch after we finished. Well, it didn’t take long for them to forget I was at the table, and soon the girl talk started flying. Guys, if you only knew what they say about us…

I can’t believe Gregg Allman is 59 years old.

The worst news I got this weekend was that Don Knotts passed away. No one could crack me up like Barney, except maybe Luther Heggs, or Roy Fleming, or perhaps Dr. Jesse Haywood.

Jill thinks Princess is a genius dog. If so, why does she come when I call out “Mayonnaise!”?

Marital Bliss

Jill and I landed Saturday evening reservations at one of Atlanta’s hottest new restaurants, a gourmet Mexican place. She loves Mexican and southwestern food. Saturday afternoon I went with her to a medical appointment, one that had her bit nervous. Being a good husband, I rubbed her shoulders and went through some relaxation techniques with her, including visualization. After she said she was good I asked her what she had thought about. “Guacamole,” she said.

Kid-bytes

I met Meagan and 11 of her friends at a restaurant this weekend. Just when you think your kid thinks she is too old to be affectionate with you, you get surprised. She sat in my lap in front of everyone and gave me a big kiss. I was in heaven. I get along well with her friends and a few call me by my middle name, “Eugene.” Well, it’s now been shortened to “Euge,” which is kinda sweet except that it rhymes with HUGE.

Today’s Rant

It always irritates me when I notice that the guy on the corner begging for money has a better cell phone than me.

Book Report

Of all my books, I get more reader mail in response to the first one, the one I wrote for my daughter. Most are heartfelt messages from dads and daughters that have a great relationship and have read and enjoyed the book. Now and then I get one from someone who is heart sick, someone that did not have the father she wanted. I share this message with you as a way to say what I believe about parent-child relationships, that is, it’s never too late to make it work.

“Mr. Lang, I just wanted to say thank you for the gift of your book, "100 Reasons Why A Daughter Needs A Dad." I am a thirty-something year old woman who has been raised by a single mother. My father lived only minutes away throughout my life; however, I barely saw or talked with him. Now in his sixties he has made attempts to be a part of my life. As you might image, it is hard for me to let go of the past.”

I wrote back: “I cannot say enough words to make up for the deprivation you have endured. However, I can hope that you will give your Dad a chance. He may be able to do more for you in the next few years than he could have in the last thirty. Yes, love is better delivered over the years of a lifetime, but it also better delivered late than not at all.”

No comments: