Monday, March 13, 2006

Dog treats

Crazy Train (of thought)

More reason to believe the good folks in France are pampered little wimpy whiners – riots in the streets because a new law now permits employers to fire employees without notice during the first two years of employment. They just don’t live in the real world.

Jill wants Princess to have a Burberry dog collar. It costs $165. Sorry babe, that ain’t happing until that little dust mop can use the toilet and flush it afterward.

Last night my neighbor and I watched our wives dancing on the kitchen counter. We easily agreed the martini shaker was a worthwhile investment.

Marital Bliss

Jill and I spent all day together Sunday. We were up early, read the paper together over coffee, took a walk through the neighborhood, had brunch with friends down the street, planned menus for the week and went to the market, came home and took a nap, worked together in the home office, made dinner together, sat on the front porch and shared a bottle of champagne, and finally snuggled together and chatted a while before falling asleep, me with my hand on her badonkadonk. For some reason I think Princess is going to get that new collar, whether she can flush or not.

Kid-bytes

Linley left Saturday for a spring break vacation with her grandparents. I rose early to get her up, then made coffee for she, Jill and I as we awaited the grandparent’s arrival. She and Jill were all kissie-face and going on and on about how much they will miss each other while apart this week. Linley usually reserves her affections exclusively for her mother and I have sometimes wished for more than the “Yo, G, you’re all right,” but have come to accept that I will receive only little doses of my step-daughter’s affection. My in-laws arrived, visited briefly, and then we all walked out onto the front porch for the good-byes. Jill and Linley continued their hugs and kisses, and I watched from a distance. Suddenly Linley ran up onto the porch, leapt into my arms and gave me a big hug. I was surprised but delighted, and feeling lucky, I tried to kiss her on the cheek. She turned her head, grunted, wiggled free, and jumped into the car. I smiled at her in the backseat, happy to have gotten her affection but wishing for it more often. As they began to pull away, she rolled down the window and blew me a kiss. I felt it all day long.

Today’s Rant

I love watching little kids play, until one of them has one of those little shopper in training carts gone wild excursions in a store with no parent to be seen for miles. Whose bright idea was it to make those things? I hope they get their toes smashed.

Book Report

I got this email yesterday:

“I just received your book ‘Why a Daughter Needs a Mom’ as a gift from my 11 year old daughter. I read it from cover to cover and wished my mother had read this book. My parents divorced when I was 11 and my mother made the kids choose between them. My dad never acted that way, yet he suffered because of my mother’s conduct. When my husband and I got divorced, we swore that would not happen to our child. Our problems were ours and ours alone. We divorced six years ago, but her Dad sees her several times a week, comes over for dinner now and then and we have spent countless hours on the phone talking about "our" daughter! As I read the introduction, I couldn't help but feel you were describing us. I thank God every day that this man is her father.”

It is mail like this that keeps me writing. I am in a unique position where I get to tell my life story AND have a positive impact on those that hear it. Meagan’s mom and I have our ups and downs, and sometimes it is just plain ugly hard work to get along, but at least we have managed to let our daughter have both of us. We have never made her feel that she can only be loyal to and love one of us. If only it could be that way for everyone.

No comments: