Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Car clutter

Crazy Train (of thought)

I’m so glad you visit me everyday. It makes me feel loved.

It’s so much more difficult now to get the gas pump to stop on an even dollar, isn’t it?

I guess some things just backfire on you. I carry my wallet, phone, Palm, keys, business cards and lucky autographing pen in a man-bag. It’s a small black leather thing that fits on the dash or in my briefcase. A friend of Meagan was laughing at it one time until I told him it was made from the scrotum of a water buffalo. When he asked where I got it, I told him I ripped it off the bull with my bare hands. He stopped laughing. The other day Meagan told me that now when they see each other, he always asks how my scrotum is doing.

Marital Bliss

I bought Jill a new car yesterday. She had a four door mom car. As I was cleaning out the old car, I found an umbrella, a dozen empty CD cases, a DVD player, two pillows, a dog car seat, four pens and a pencil, three pairs of sunglasses, six tubes of lip gloss, $65 in change, an emery board, a box of handy wipes, an air freshener, a comb and small collection of hair bands, two tins of breath mints, and a bottled water. Now she has a two-seater little hottie convertible sports car. Where all that stuff will go, I don’t know. Don’t think I am exaggerating about it ‘cuz I’m not. She has such a problem collecting nothing that I had to assign a drawer to her in the kitchen. What don’t fit has got to get. It’s the only way I can maintain some appearance of order in our home.

Kid-bytes

Sometimes the kids act indifferent to the books I write, even if their photograph is included in one. I’ve learned to be patient - life has a way of giving you signals. For example, Linley and I were at Barnes and Noble the other day so I could schedule a book signing. She disappeared while I reviewed the calendar with the store manager. Moments later I found her in the aisles, looking at her pictures in my newest release, Life Maps. It made me happy, it made chuckle – it was like finding Meagan or Jill reading old letters I have written them – my ladies care.

Today’s Rant

I hate the time frames repairmen give you. “We’ll be there between noon and 5:00, sir.” So why do you call at 4:42 and say “We have two more stops ahead of you, so it may be another couples of hours.” You suppose it would be okay with them if I said “I’ll mail you a check in a few days, or in a week, but it could be in about a month.”?

Book Report

The messages in my email box are becoming even more poignant:

“I bought Why A Daughter Needs a Dad for my 2-1/2 year old granddaughter. My son, her daddy, is in Iraq. He worries that she will forget about him while he's gone, and how much she will change while he's gone. I wanted to find a book that would remind him of how important he is to her. The first page I opened to was "A Daughter Needs A Dad who will make sacrifices so she will not have to sacrifice." This brought tears to my eyes. The second page was "A Daughter Needs a Dad who will influence her life even when he isn't with her." I burst into tears and bought it. My son has now been away from his little one for a year. He misses her so very much and she misses him. I know how important Dads are, mine passed away a long time ago and I miss him everyday. Your book is wonderful; we are going to send it to 'Papa' for his birthday, with love, from his little girl.”

Sometimes after getting these notes I just sit and cry both tears of joy and fear. Joy that I get to be the dad for two young angels, fear that something might happen to them. There is nothing like being a parent to bring you to your knees in prayer.

No comments: