Monday, April 24, 2006

Thank you friends!!!

Crazy Train (of thought)

Sorry for the delay in posting today; had a planning meeting with an advisor this morning.

The wonderful thing about friends is they always stick by you. I have lots of friends. I am blessed in so many ways. My thanks and affection go out to all of them.

I’ve started a mailing list of readers who have contacted me in the past. If you wish to be on it, please post a comment asking to be added.

A word of encouragement I received recently: “No matter what we do in life, someone somewhere is not going to agree with us, and is not going to like us, and that's just the way it is, so we shouldn't sweat it.” So true.

They say the sincerest form of flattery is imitation. Who is “they”? Did they know what they were talking about?

Speaking of flattery, I got four emails yesterday from people asking if I would be their step-father. Was it something I did?

Why is it no one calls until you are sitting on the toilet?

Marital Bliss

Jill and I were in north Ohio working on a photo assignment this past weekend. We were driving around looking for a good location when I started to take in the beauty around me. The grass was that gorgeous new green of spring, bulbs were pushing their colorful pedals upward and rolling meadows were carpeted with wild flowers. The sun filtered through tree branches that were just beginning to bear leaves and birds were flitting about looking for nesting material. I was about to say “it doesn’t get much more beautiful than this” when I turned to Jill and found her asleep in the passenger seat, her head tilted back with the sun and breeze coming in the sunroof flowing through her hair, a slight smile on her face as she thought about who knows what. No, I thought instead, it doesn’t get more beautiful than that.

Kid-bytes

Jill and I sat on the porch and watched the road out front, waiting for Meagan to drive up. She finally turned the corner, her blinker on (good girl) and slowly approached the driveway. Her windows were down, the sunroof open, and radio blasting. She smiled so broadly I thought her face was going to break. She had just completed her first solo drive; she had come to see her Daddy. She sat for a while and told us of her weekend, but didn’t stay long. Her boyfriend was her next stop. I didn’t get offended that she didn’t stay long; I was honored she came here first. I guess I have maybe two years left to enjoy my little girl, and then she will be off to college, leaving the nest. I can’t bear to think about it.

Today’s Rant

I got the sweetest email from someone yesterday who told me to “keep on keeping on, and continue to bless this world that needs the hope and joy and loving thoughts you offer!” That made me think about this rant section. I really do have to sit and ponder some days to find something of merit to rant about, and I do enjoy so much more writing about the good things I experience rather than the little pains in the badonkadonk, so I’m going to delete this section from future posts. My forte is motivational writing, so I'll stick with that!

Book Report

I have revealed to my readers in several books that my marriage produced a blended family. Jill and I each brought a child from another marriage under our roof. This makes me a step-father. I can look at that role several ways. One is “She’s not my daughter, so I’ll do only what is essential for her.” That’s not going to happen; that’s not how I’m made. The other way is “She’s not of my blood, but she is the child of the woman I love, thus I love her as my own child.” Step-parent, like adoptive parent, is a legal term that defines rights and privileges under the law, not terms and conditions of the heart. It does not limit the role and responsibility I have as an adult who has a little one playing under my watchful eye. I care for, provide for, plan for and attend to the needs of both my girls in equal measure. One will not be treated as a lesser than simply because I did not participate in giving life to her. I will not fail to do for her what she needs and what she might ask of me. This is what a blended family is all about - one family, one roof, one love. I’m not advocating to negate the broken marriage or family that produced the child, but I am saying there is no good reason to diminish the step-family simply because it came later. If you have a step-child, love him/her unconditionally; think nothing of birth origin. Children have tender hearts; care for them with gentle hands.

No comments: