Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Apples and grapes

Crazy Train (of thought)

A little something I got from my sister yesterday:

“Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples from the ground, the ones that aren't as good, but which are easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're the best. Their lot is to wait for the right man to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. On the other hand, men are like a fine wine. They start out as grapes, and then it's up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have with dinner.”

When you think you are the center of the world, you probably fail to see that no one else does.

If you are right all the time, what are you and Saint Peter going to talk about?

Marital Bliss

It seems some of you like the “prepay” concept of an earlier post (see April 26). How about this one: Post-pay.
It means “That was so much more difficult/trying/expensive than I expected, I think I deserve a little something special for a reward.” Be advised that negotiating for after-the-fact compensation is very difficult. For a Post-pay to work you have to be very persuasive or very tempting, maybe both. Jill can pull it off, she’s both!

Kid-bytes

The housekeeper is coming tomorrow so I walked through the kids’ rooms picking stuff off the floor. It seems such a benign task, yet today it was so poignant. In Meagan’s room I found cards I have given her positioned on her desk, pieces of my old artwork she wanted me to hang on her walls, a copy of a CD she had burned for Jill and me, and a picture of the four of us on her bulletin board. In Linley’s room set around her keyboard were things we have given her, kept near at hand, a note Jill had written on her dry-eraser board, and a stack of family photos she had taken with the camera we gave her for Christmas. Little signs of the girls’ connection to Jill and me, signs of their affection for us, signs of being happy in the home we share. It is hectic when they are here, loud, sometimes even stressful, but it is always so much harder when they are not here, when their rooms are silent. Meagan will move on in two years, Linley in six. I hope that time will creep slowly, about as long as it takes wind to smooth a stone.

Book Report

My publisher, editor and I have a deep conviction that the books we produce are important works. Sure, we make a few dollars selling them, but if that is all we were after, we could just mark ‘em up. But no, we price them within reach of the masses, because we want everyone to hear the message – Family Matters – the name of the series. We want people to stop and think about their priorities, to love as openly and as fully as possible, to not let a moment pass without spending it being grateful for the family you have. We get lots of feedback to tell us we are achieving our goal, like this email that came in last night:

“Last Christmas I bought several of your books and gave them as gifts to my children, my 2 brothers and their wives. Everyone that sees them sitting out thinks these books are really great. We all have them sitting out, not tucked away. I have always believed that anybody can be a father but it takes someone special to be a dad. I also believe that any positive role model in your children’s lives is a wonderful thing, whether it be a brother, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, or just someone special they have met along the way. I continue to support you and best wishes with future books. There are many people out there who support you and your work.”

No comments: