Monday, June 12, 2006

Detour

Crazy Train (of thought)

Hey Friends! We’re all back! I’m writing this at 10:30 Sunday night so it will be short (we encountered a wonderful detour this evening and I didn’t get to the PC when planned; more later) and sweet with a few trip highlights:

It rained several days at Paradise Island so to entertain ourselves Linley and I played dodge ball in the hotel room. We didn’t break anything, although Jill was sure we were about to fall over the balcony.

Quotes of the week – while at dinner one evening at a fine dining spot Meagan raised her arms and asked, “Do I need to shave my pits?” and her shrieks of joy when her checked baggage finally arrived 18 hours after we did – “I have shoes!!!”

The “Gucci” handbag we bought for Jill at the straw market has a small flaw. You can barely see the “I” in Gucci, so we now call it her “Gucc” bag.

After watching so many breast surgeries walk by at the pool, the girls and I agreed that if you must get one, at least make sure it is not larger than your head.

Truth be told – Laura can do an awesome Hurkey and a to-the-floor split to boot.

Marital Bliss

Jill and I are best friends. We enrich each others lives; we care for and take care of each other. We could be alone for weeks at a time and never grow tired of one another. But we also value the rewards of good friendship with others and seek to make friends as often as we can - which brings me to Laura and Allison, our detour this evening.

Sometimes you meet people that you are happy to know for the time you have together, but then you move on as life dictates. Other times you meet people you must have in your lives no matter what. Laura and Allison are these kind of people. We cannot visit with them for just a few minutes. Every fly-by turns into four to six delightful hours of laughter and fun, sharing and caring, and of course, goodnight hugs for all. Tonight it was supposed to be a return of the Tupperware encounter, but it became a glass of wine, a dinner out, and finally a walk the dogs through the neighborhood stroll, all the time laughing so hard you could cry. We love and trust these ladies; we look out for each other. It’s a good thing because in the middle of the stroll, Jill admitted she intended to train Princess to care for me if I were ever bedridden or on a ventilator. Allison, you are healthcare power of attorney #2 and Laura, you are #3. I expect both of you will vote together and overrule Jill in the event of my untimely need for life support.

Kid-bytes

Jill and I had just returned home from taking Linley to her Dad’s and were pulling out of the driveway again when Meagan drove up at the end of her errands run. We chatted through our open car windows for a while, and then Jill and I drove off as Meagan pulled into the driveway. I glanced up in the rearview mirror and saw Meagan hanging out of her car window waving for me to come back. I backed up to see what was wrong, expecting her to tell me she needed money or wanted Jill to do her laundry. When I got near enough for her to hear me I asked, “What is it?” She smiled and replied, “I just wanted to tell you again that I love you.” I’m a happy Daddy.

Book Report

I don’t get much in the way of professional critics reviewing my books, but with reader mail like this, who cares?

“I just purchased you're book for my Dad as a gift for Father’s Day and as I stood in the store tears started to come down my face. I was so moved by what I was reading. Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't. Beautiful! Happy Father's Day!”

No comments: