Thursday, June 01, 2006

Geography

Crazy Train (of thought)

Should I admit to Jill and I sleeping until 7:30-8:00 in this first week of summer vacation?

One of the kids in the ‘hood came by to try to sell me a used snowboard. She couldn’t understand why I didn’t want it; she thought I might go somewhere it snows one day. She suggested Poland.

I filled up yesterday and then drove off not realizing I had not closed the gas cap. Moments later while at a stop light, I saw a woman in my mirror running toward the car. She closed the cap and then ran back to her car. I waved at her and she smiled back at me as she waved. It is these little, simple acts that make you believe in the goodness of others, isn’t it?

If you don’t want to be fodder, don’t stand in front of the pen, er, cannon.

Marital Bliss

You know how much I love my beautiful wife, Jill. When I wrote the book “Why I Love You: 100 Reasons,” I included this statement: “When I reach for you, you move closer.” It may not sound like much at first, but really think about it. When you live with someone that wants your attention, your love and affection, who never tires of your desire, who never rejects you, you are living a blessed life. Today I heard a preacher on the radio say, “True love is an act of will, not simply a good feeling.” I must be doubly blessed – my love for Jill is not just an exercise of will, it is also a compelling urge. I simply cannot get enough of her; I cannot help but reach for her whenever she is near.

Kid-bytes

Jill, Linley and I were in the car when I noticed it was 96 degrees outside. “I can’t wait to go to New England,” Jill said. “It’s so much cooler.”
“Wait, I thought we were going to Boston and Maine,” Linley said.
“We are,” I said.
“I thought New England was in Canada,” Linley said, confused.
“That’s Newfoundland,” Jill said.
“Oh, I thought that was in France,” Linley said.

Book Report

I received this email yesterday:

“I recently moved out of my parents’ home, into my very own apartment. It was a scary move at first, a decision that I made for myself, after graduating college, and began a career. I was given a copy of your book "Why a Daughter Needs a Mom" by my own mother last night. I was truly touched by the points that you made throughout this book, and I simply wanted to write you an email to say "thank you" for giving my Mom and I this piece of writing to share with each other. I have learned now, being on my own, all these wonderful things that my Mom has taught me, and how much I genuinely STILL need her. I wish you and your family all the happiness and health that this world has to offer.”

No comments: