Friday, June 23, 2006

Gracias

Crazy Train (of thought)

At last, six weeks after the wreck, Jill gets the Porsche back today. We’re going for a ride in the NC mountains for few days next week to celebrate getting it back.

We’ve had no rain for three weeks so I finally decided to leave the cushions on the deck chairs, knowing the rain forecast was for five more dry days. What happens? It rains.

Did you ever think if you shook your computer hard enough, the data would fall off the hard-drive?

I came upon a motorist stranded in the middle of the road during afternoon rush hour traffic. She was trying to push her car off the road while her child steered. Cars were pulling around her, all in a hurry on their way home. I stopped and gave a hand, pushing it nearly a block to a place where we could get it off the road. As I pushed I thought about my fellow man, wondering why no one else would stop and offer help. About that time, tired and sweaty, the car came to an incline and I couldn’t move it any further. There we stood in the middle of the lane, only a few feet from getting out of harm’s way. Just as I thought I would collapse, two Latin gentlemen jumped out of a truck and came to my aid. They asked no questions, just started helping me push it up the hill. When the car was off the road the driver thanked me profusely, and I tried to thank the guys who had helped me, but they had already jumped back into their truck and pulled away. All I could do was wave at them. It was not until after they were out of sight that I remembered how to say thank you in Spanish.

Marital Bliss

Jill and I are in NC hiking the trails and racing the recuperated Porsche through the curves next Monday and Tuesday, so you won’t hear from me again until Wednesday.

Kid-bytes

The girls have been so busy with friends this week; Jill and I have hardly seen them. I guess that is what summer is all about – being a kid and having fun in all its many forms. We are taking them out of town tonight for some family fun at a festival in a small college town (Athens, UGA!), so I’m sure there will be a story or two to tell next week.

Book Report

Guess what?! My book, WHY A DAUGHTER NEEDS A DAD is number 44 on the USA Today’s list of top selling books. I know, I’m bragging, but wouldn’t you?

No comments: