Monday, June 05, 2006

On the road again

Crazy Train (of thought)

At a party the other night I stepped outside to use my cell phone. Someone happened to walk up just as I was hanging up, when I said “I love you.” This person says, “Busted you! Does Jill know you have a lover?” I smiled confidently and turned the phone so she could see who I had dialed. It was my brother.

Jill and I were at the table reading Sunday’s paper and thinking of where we wanted to go this summer on a weekend junket. “San Diego!” she suddenly blurted out, holding up the Travel section for me to see. You guessed it – she was reading an article about an upcoming National Chihuahua Race.

What’s the best use of left over fajitas? Reheated on an open-face tortilla with a poached egg on top. Darn good breakfast, but go easy on the beans.

We are leaving soon after I post this for our trip to Paradise Island in the Bahamas! The girls are jacked up and I have 50 bags (theirs) to load in the car. Updates this week may be few as I’ll be loving life at the Atlantis Resort, but if I can, I’ll post news of our fun. Back to regular business next week, June 12th.

Marital Bliss

When Jill isn’t happy, I sing to her. I’m not sure what she enjoys most, the sentiment or my terrible singing voice. Anyway, this is my favorite “Jill” song (go ahead, sing along with me):

I've got sunshine
On a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside,
I've got the month of May.
Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way? My girl.
Talkin' 'bout my girl.
I've got so much honey
The bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song
Than the birds in the trees.
Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way? My girl.
Talkin' 'bout my girl.
I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby,
One man can claim.
Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl.Talkin' 'bout my girl.
Talkin' bout my girl.
I've got sushine on cloudy day
With my girl.
I've even got the month of May
With my girl.

Kid-bytes

Meagan confesses to having 16 pairs of shoes packed for the trip. Linley has two and three pairs of shorts. You can easily tell who is more into boys than the other.

Book Report

My newest book is perhaps my favorite – it is written for both Meagan and Linley and tells them of my love and devotion to them. It is meant to be a book they can look back on and remember good times in our family, a book they can look to for inspiration when Jill and I are not around anymore, maybe even a book that can serve as guide for them when raising their own children. With a book so personal, I wondered if anyone else will connect with it. I got an answer to that question with this email:

“Today I read your book “Life Maps: Simple Directions for Finding Your Way” and I can honestly tell you it changed my life. I am going through a very rough time lately and have been having dangerous thoughts. However, something in your book told me to hold on to what I have and enjoy it. It is truly an inspiring book.”

I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to go to sleep knowing that, even if indirectly, I did something good for someone that day.

And, Betsy Flagler mentioned my book “Why a Son Needs a Dad” in her syndicated column, Parent-to-Parent. Thanks Betsy!

No comments: