Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Giving back

Crazy Train (of thought)

Thanks for helping me and my family help others. Years ago, in a prayer for the success of my books, I committed to charitable giving as often as possible. In addition to the charities we now support, Jill and I set up a college scholarship fund yesterday for graduate students studying Child and Family Development at The University of Georgia. I’ll never have the resources of Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, but I sure like following their example. I’m able to give because of your support for my books, so kudos to you, too! Yea us!

We stopped in the Arcadia National Forest in Maine to look out at the bay – Bar Harbor below, Nova Scotia on the horizon, the Atlantic to our right. Jill and I marveled. I looked over my shoulder, certain the girls were as impressed as we were. I spotted Meagan sending a text-message from her phone and Linley holding the portable DVD player, taking care not to miss a single scene in Moulin Rouge. Kids…

…but later we did have fun at late night candlepin bowling, taking turns in the tree swing, playing badminton on the lawn overlooking the ocean, and eating just-out-of-the-ocean lobster on the fisherman’s pier, juice and drawn butter dripping down our arms. You should have seen the waitress when I asked her to show the kids how to crack lobster, explaining that since we were from the south, we were accustomed to eating “coon and ‘possum.”

Take a note: Skip ordering chicken teriyaki when the menu says it is served with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. It’s a clue the chef has never eaten in Chinatown.

Marital Bliss

Jill and I believe in giving back. We were introduced by a friend who thought we might like one another, and look what happened. In return, we have two friends who did not know each other, but who we thought might get along well, so last weekend we arranged a dinner introduction. Now they seem to be interested in one another and Jill and I are both happy for them and pleased we returned a favor in the name of love. When you’re happy, don’t you feel like sharing it?

Kid-bytes

Jill and I know our blended family is coming together quite nicely when, after we rented all three rooms on the top floor of the B&B in Bar Harbor on our last night in Maine, the sisters decided to sleep together rather than apart. Thinking about that made me realize there had not been one girl spat between them in spite of a mad rush at the airport and hours in the car, and more than once they had held hands to run across the street. We would be selfish to ask for a better experience putting two formerly only children together and asking them to share everything. My cup runneth over.

Book Report

I received this wonderful poem the other day and thought I would share it with you:

“I just wanted to thank you for your book Why a Daughter Needs a Dad: 100 Reasons. Today is the anniversary of my dad's passing away 14 years ago. I was fortunate to have a good relationship with my Dad. As a thank you for writing such a great book I wanted to share a poem that I wrote about my Dad:

Gone Too Soon by Mary Lehnard

You held my hand and walked with me
Stayed up late and talked to me
Supported me and laughed with me
Teased me and joked with me
Taught me not to take life so seriously
Taught me to trust myself & act naturally
And that a woman can be all she wants to be
You shared my dreams and inspired me
You promised you'd be there for me
You weren't supposed to go from me
I wasn't ready for you to leave me
Saying good-bye was so hard for me
You took away my security
You broke my heart when you left me
But now I can feel you protecting me
Watching out and loving me
I know you didn't abandon me
You showed me strength and dignity
You showed me how to live life gracefully
You showed me who I want to be
No one could be as proud as me
To know that you loved me, Daddy.

Thank you again and please keep writing these wonderful books!”

Thank you, Mary, for allowing me to share your poem!

No comments: