Friday, August 11, 2006

A Debacle

Crazy Train (of thought)

OMG, what a busy week! It has been a bit of a challenge to adjust to the new schedule, but I think we are there. I guess the good thing about all my women returning to school is that for the next ten months I’ll have a very predictable schedule and lots of alone time to be productive. Yet I’ll miss the afternoon naps with Jill, the girls tugging on my elbow to take them places, and the laughter around the table during lunch.

Please explain to me how someone (the recently ousted Cynthia McKinney) who ran on an anti-racism platform can expect to get away with calling her dissenters Uncle Toms and Zionists? I’ll explain it – born a nut, always a nut.

Are you watching the news? Do you still think we, the US, are paranoid about terrorism? If so, please tell me how you breathe with your head in the sand.

One thought on security though – if someone is intent on boarding a plane with an explosive liquid, don’t you think they would take a sip at the security gate if that’s all they had to do to carry it on board? These are frightening times, indeed.

Yes, pedestrians have the right-of-way when crossing the street, but not when walking down the center of the road. Hey stupid dude, take that finger and stick it up your….

My brother, our neighbor Laura, and Jill and I had sushi for dinner the other night. I am trying to introduce Laura to new items on the menu, starting with hamachi kama (grilled yellowtail gill collar) and raw scallops. She was doing quite well munching on these, but I think I went too far when I had them bring out the deep fried jumbo shrimp heads. I’m not sure what bothered her most, the eyeballs or the spiny feelers. I guess it’s an acquired taste.

My neighbor told me yesterday what a great kid I have. How sweet is that, your adult neighbor saying your teenager is a fine person? Made me proud.

I know a man named Gibson; he goes by Gib. He wears seersucker, suspenders, tassel loafers and a pocket square. He drinks single malt scotch, dances like a mad man, can get a laugh out of anyone and a hug from all the women. I think he is nearly eighty. I want to grow up and be just like him.

Marital Bliss

It was so hot the other night at the outdoor concert that once we returned to the car, Jill slipped off her bra so she could lift her shirt and direct the air conditioner vent underneath to cool her off faster. She fell asleep on the way home and when we arrived, I failed to get the bra out of the door pocket. The next day, driving to a photo appointment, I spied it. Not being sure if the models would need to get in the Rover, I flipped it to the far back into the cargo area. Later, when on location, the models and I walked to the back of the truck to pull out the gear I needed. There was the bra, resting right on top of the camera bag for all to see. “Oh,” one of the models said, “you want to do those kind of pictures.” I know refer to this event as the Great Bra Debacle.

Kid-bytes

I am in that phase of parenting when you have to give your mobile teen more and more freedom, especially since having her own car is such a universal symbol of independence. I can remember all the times in her life when she would say “I can do it,” and “I’m not a little girl any more.” It was hard for me to begin the process of letting go, to allow her to fail, but I knew it was necessary to help her become the confident adult I envisioned. So over time she has needed less and less of me and has accomplished more and more with her own wits. But sometimes she still needs her Daddy. Like the other day when she asked me to accompany her to the dealership to have a factory defect repaired, or when she suddenly worried the night before if she could register herself at school the next day. Yes, these are tasks, not recreational time, but I’ll take every minute of it. The hug and “I love you” at the end makes it all so worthwhile and memorable.

Book Report

Reader mail, actually:

“I was out shopping today with my wife when I came across your book, and as I paged through it, I could not help but remember the times and moments when my own daughter was a little girl, and now a grown woman. As you might imagine, it is sitting in front of me now; I plan to send it to my daughter who lives away from home. Your words and the photographs are fantastic. I really appreciate your work as I think my daughter will too. Thanks for capturing the thoughts on my mind and in my heart.”

No comments: