Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer is over

Crazy Train (of thought)

We had a few friends come over to sit on the porch and enjoy some shrimp cocktail. One showed up in her Ferragamo shoes, Paloma Picasso gold, diamonds and pearls, and a Chanel dress, and leftover waffles wrapped in tinfoil. It’s a southern thing.

Why do the girls stand in the pantry downstairs and yell up to me while I’m working in the office upstairs, “Do we have any peanut butter?” Pardon me; let me put on my Secret X-Ray Vision glasses.

Meagan wanted me to go to the gym and show her a few routines she should do to stay in shape, so I did. I work out with an NFL player, a policeman, a body guard, and just a few big hulking men. I made sure to introduce my beautiful daughter to all of them and asked, “If you see anyone mess with her, please smack ‘em in the head.” All agreed to do just that. Now I hope I don’t have to get one of them off her trail. I might just get my arse kicked.

I introduced the girls to the fart dance, the age old custom of stomping, toe tapping and finger snapping in public to hide the sound of flatulence that can no longer be held back.

One thing I’ve learned from my few experiences in the news - don’t be made a fool. Your family, friends and enemies will laugh at you. Worse than that, your foolishness is then captured for posterity in a database somewhere.

Marital Bliss

Well I guess the days of sleeping late with Jill are over for the next 10 months. No more hitting the snooze until 8:00 AM nor deciding not to turn on the alarm the night before. Effective today it is up at 6:00, turning on the bathroom heater for my wife, going downstairs to make coffee, calling each of the girls to make sure they are awake, climbing back upstairs to make sure Jill has not slept through her snooze, down again to begin cooking short-order breakfast for my three women, making lunch for Jill, reminding her to wear her name tag, helping everyone get their things into the cars, sending them out the door by 7:10, and then it is (dear God help me) Princess and me for the rest of the day. I hope she knows how much I love her. Jill, not Princess.

Kid-bytes

On our way home from dinner after celebrating the last week of summer together, the girls plugged an iPOD into the car and played it over the speakers, singing along with their favorite songs. And not just ordinary singing, I mean singing at the top of their lungs, screeching really, sounding somewhere between a barnyard during castration season, drunken rednecks at a bad karaoke bar, and a senile person trying to yodel. Much like the infield at a NASCAR race.

Book Report

It is still in draft form, but here is the beginning of the introduction to my book due out next Spring, titled “Thank You: A Child’s Expressions of Gratitude” -

I have much to be thankful for – the love and support of my family, my health, my many friends, my material comforts, my success as a writer, and more. Yet, even though I am thankful, it would be easy for me to succumb to pride and look at what I have accomplished, experienced or acquired and say to myself, “I did this.” I am indeed sometimes tempted to take credit for what my life has become, as if I alone had a plan, a vision, and the intellect to make everything happen as it has. I know I am not alone in having this weakness.

Fortunately, I also realize the folly of such thinking and step back a minute to assess how I really got to where I am. I then quickly admit I did not get anywhere only by my own means. I have had the help of my family, friends, mentors and advisors, I have had some good luck, and I was given a good foundation on which to grow up and learn. It is that foundation, the one my parents gave me, this book is about. It is that foundation I grow increasingly thankful for as the years go by, especially now when as a parent myself, I truly understand what is required to set into place all the building blocks necessary to support and nurture a child for a lifetime. It is with this book I thank my parents for doing all they could to make sure I had a good life and the support and opportunities that led to who I have become.

No comments: