Monday, September 18, 2006

A Dawg Day

Crazy Train (of thought)

Please visit my new website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/.

The trouble with stretching the truth is that it’s apt to snap back and getcha.

Humphrey Bogart’s last words - “I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.”

Yep. Statistics show that the people who have the most birthdays live the longest.

During the fire last week we were unable to enter the neighborhood and those already in it could not leave, thus Laura was trapped and needed to get out. I loaned her my SUV which was sitting in the parking lot across the street. The next day as I drove it, it took me hours to make the perfect seat re-adjustment. I finally realized she raised the seat to see over the wheel, which confirmed one horrible truth for me. I’ve got a big butt.

Whole Foods opens on Wednesday; it is their corporate showcase store and Laura and I cannot wait to enter. I asked her if we should drive or walk (it is just down the street). She thought we should just hold hands and skip. Looks like scrambled eggs for lunch!

Marital Bliss

I had lunch with a female friend the other day, sat on the porch one night and had a glass of wine with Laura, and am meeting a fellow photographer (female) for camera help tomorrow. Meagan remarked she would be suspicious if her boyfriend hung out with so many women and asked Jill if she was bothered. “No,” she said, “I have a good husband. I trust him.” I was so pleased she said that so quickly. Trust is the essential ingredient for permitting freedom in your marriage. Jill and I are free to commune with our friends without fear of causing trouble in our marriage. We both know that we will take our clothes off only for each other and our doctors (mine is a male, BTW). Why am I writing this? I want Meagan to understand that the right man can be trusted. She need not keep him under constant surveillance unless he has proven it necessary. And she should have the freedom to enjoy the company of whomever she wants, as long as she does so in a manner that does not betray her husband. Marriage should be a safe harbor, one where trust stills the waters, not a prison.

Kid-bytes

We went to a UGA football game this weekend; Jill and I were treated by the college in recognition of the scholarship fund we have created. We sat in a skybox and the girls were given club level tickets, but they were able to spend the second half in the box with us. I mingled with the deans and dignitaries, Jill dug her nails into the palms of her hands as she sat on the edge of her seat, face pressed against the glass and heart racing as she watched every move on the field, Meagan watched occasionally between typing text messages to all her friends telling them she was in the box, and Linley made about 100 trips to the dessert buffet, which she called heavenly. Life is good.

Book Report

I’m sure someone out there thinks I promote myself too much, that I exploit other’s email as a way to shine a favorable light on my work. Sure, I sell books; it’s what I do for a living. But as a human, I tell stories that impact people; I desire to have an effect on your life. Do I succeed? You decide – I got this email over the weekend:

“My father passed away yesterday and after he was gone I thought of your books. Last year I gave him "Why A Son Needs A Dad" on his birthday. My Dad died of cancer after fighting it for 3 months. I wanted to let you know that I have found relief by reading the book. I love your photographs and the feeling I get when I look at them. Next week we are having a celebration of life party for my Dad and as his son I need to say something. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to say, but I wanted to let you know that I will use your books in helping write that speech.”

Every day I say thanks for being used as a means for such work.

No comments: