Thursday, September 21, 2006

This 'n that

The Whole Foods experience was at once epicurean euphoria and barely managed chaos. It seems everyone in town heard Laura and I were going to be there so they all showed up too. After much pushing and shoving we were finally able to get into the store, and I swear it was Organic Heaven. Laura was all a giggle in the wine department (the sommelier thought she was flirting with him but I knew better – she was working on her quantity discount) and I nearly wet myself when the butcher told me he had hanger steak. I bought lots of small bites to make Jill and Laura a tapas meal last night. Here’s what we had:

Mixed salad greens with raspberry balsamic vinaigrette
Roasted baby purple carrots
Grilled asparagus
Parmesan potato cakes
Mixed olives
Baby gherkins
Roasted pearl onions
Jumbo white fava beans in smoked tomato puree
Dilled shrimp
Smoked salmon
BBQ’s pork short ribs
Thai chicken satay
Gingered pork satay
Mediterranean lamb sausage
Hanger steak
Herb and oil marinated mozzarella cheese
Whole wheat baguette and garlic-pepper tapenade
Blue cheese
Bosc pears
Fresh figs
Caramelized walnuts

Speaking of food, the other night at Laura’s dinner party she put some twisted knot roles in the oven but soon forgot them. After a few minutes she remembered and pulled them out, only to find that the little knob at the top of the knot had turned a nice brown. We now call it nipple bread.

Seems I’m not the only one who knows a woman that likes to run around naked. I recently heard of someone who likes to dress only in her stilettos, grab a baton and then do her majorette best around the house. Now there’s a sight.

Jill, do you have a baton? Do you still have those high-heeled boots I got your for Christmas?

Early this morning Jill was restless – thrashing and flopping around and woke me up. “If you’ve got excess energy, I know what you can do with it,” I said. Suddenly she threw the covers back, jumped up and started taking her pajamas off. Now that’s what I’m talking about, I thought as I grinned lustfully. Then she reached in her dresser for her gym shorts and under the bed for her running shoes. Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: