Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Turbo Flush

Crazy Train (of thought)

Meagan called the other morning just before school to tell me she had forgotten to take her medicine. I reassured her it was okay, but to no avail - she was nearly frantic. Finally she said, “I don’t want to die.” No, honey, I don’t want you to, either. But they are just vitamins….

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a gift to be enjoyed. In fact, everything you have is a gift. Be grateful.

There are some things that happen in life that seems as if it should be in a movie. Like the day last week when Jill accidentally erased the homework assignment from the dry-erase board in her classroom with her breasts.

This Internet thing is pretty cool. An old friend I haven’t seen in 26 years found me by email. Wonders abound!

I told Laura recently how much I liked her big copper stock pot. I must have sounded covetous – she called a moment ago and asked me if I wanted to come over and fondle it.

Marital Bliss

I wrote this for Jill one evening while snowed in at a hotel in Dublin, OH, two years ago. I’m so glad I don’t have to travel for work anymore – now when I have a longing my wife I can just go to her rather than wait for a business trip to come to an end and then hope the plane lands on time. Life is good to me now, I’m so blessed. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this little love note:

If I could give you everything
I would bring to you each day
a bundle of cream-colored roses,
and just before they should wilt
I would sprinkle the soft pedals
to make a lush bed for you.
If I could give you everything
I would cause the murmur
of a steady rain and distant thunder
to lull you toward an evening slumber.
At the light of day I would pour
a bath of jasmine and lavender for you,
and I would sit and read
a tender love poem I had written for you.
If I could give you everything
I would lay a carpet of new grass
beneath your feet for you to sit upon
and daydream in the shade of a tree
that always gave you the colors of fall.
If I could give you everything
I would bring you the relaxing waves
of the ocean and chase the harsh rays
of the sun away from you.
If I could give you everything
I would capture a full moon for you,
and I would pray you always know
I wished I could give everything to you.
But if I could give you only one thing,
I would give you my devoted heart -
for it is filled with love for you,
and giving it to you is something
I really can do.

Kid-bytes

I sat up until 1:00 AM Friday night with Meagan and a friend of hers from school I have known since they were in the third grade together. We talked, laughed, shared and generally had a great time. The good news is a dad and his teenager can have spontaneous conversation that ends with a good-night kiss and “I love you,” in front of friends no less. The bad news is the conversation went a lot like this:

“Jill is asleep, so don’t flush your john. Use a bathroom downstairs,” I said.
“Okay,” Meagan said.
“What?” Chelsea asked.
“She has a power-assisted turbo flush toilet. It sounds like a jet taking off in the middle of the night,” I explained.
“Yeah, they advertise it can flush 25 golf balls at once,” Meagan bragged.
“Who poops golf balls?” Chelsea asked. “Seems like that’d hurt.”

Book Report

More reader commentary I lifted off a blog entry:

“Things are going good with my parents. I got major kudos from my Dad for his Father's Day gift. My Dad and I share a graduation year; me from high school, him with his first Associates Degree. My Mom took a picture of the two of us in our regalia in our old backyard. For Father's Day, I got that picture enlarged and framed. I also got him a book called ‘Why A Daughter Needs a Dad - 100 Reasons’. The inscription I put in the front read ‘A daughter needs a dad to teach her how to drive, the difference between a Philips and a flathead, and to teach her when to fight her own battles, and when to ask for help.’ I've had my Dad wrapped around my little finger since I squeezed his with my whole hand, but I’ve never seen he become a big puddle of Daddy goo like he did when he read it.”

I have no idea if you enjoy what you do for a living, but I hope you do. I certainly do. It is a great feeling when you realize something you have done made a difference in someone else’s life. That’s why I write the kind of books I do, they are an extension of a longstanding desire to help others (remember when we all said that in our youth?). Why do I still have this desire when I’m in my 40’s? Because I know I’ve caused more heartache than I want to admit to, and I’m trying to make up for it now.

No comments: