Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Giving Back


I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

What a great smile. This young lady lives in my neighborhood and nearly always has a warm smile to greet you. Your smile can bring hope and change the countenance of someone today. Give it a try.

I just completed an interview with an adult woman recalling her time with her dad years ago when no one had television in their homes. She told of how the family sat together around the radio for evening entertainment, and later, her dad read to them from the Bible. I remembered that our girls each have their own TV in their rooms, where they usually retire to after dinner. I’m thinking about throwing the TVs away. It is a shame family time has become so scarce in the modern era.

All I asked the girls to give me for my birthday was a letter. They thought gifts were a better idea but I explained things crumble or get lost, but a letter will last my lifetime; I can read it when I’m old, nearing death and taking account of what my life amounted to. I still have the letter from Meagan on my desk, and I still well up when I read it. She ended it with “You’ve given the world to me, and I hope I can give it back to you.”

Along that same emotion, I received a great story recently from an adult daughter who is watching her father age and is preparing herself to care and provide for him as he may need it. I can see that this responsibility is not an obligation that burdens her, but instead is a gesture of affection for a father that has done so much for her over the years:

“Even as busy as he was being a husband, a dad, a good son and working hard to earn a living, he always had time for me. I wanted a go cart and he made me one out of scraps of wood and spare rubber tires. I wanted a skate board and once again scraps of wood and wheels off of something he found and made a great skateboard for me. I decided I wanted to be a gymnast so he erected a parallel bar in the back yard for me to play on. He made me a wonderful teeter totter with horse head handles. I am an only child so he also rode the teeter totter with me. He made a pair of stilts for me, a toy box, a bookshelf, a desk, and so much more. Many of my toys were made and assembled by his loving hands (some are still around and my daughters play with them). My dad came home after a long day and tucked me into bed. We still share a close relationship; he always took great care of me. Now it is the time in life where I am going to take great care of him.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: