Monday, April 16, 2007

Happy B-Day Meagan!!!


This beautiful piece of artwork was shared with me by Raymond DeStefano, proud and loving father of a 12 year-old daughter, both of Long Island, NY.

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the writing and publication of my newest book, Daddy’s Little Girl: True Stories about Fathers and Daughters (HarperSanFrancisco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers).

My purpose in keeping this diary is to give updates about the book’s progress to those who have shared their stories with me.

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page.

I’m collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today is Meagan’s birthday – seventeen going on thirty-one. Good Lord, they grow fast. It is so hard to believe that in one year, she will be an emancipated child leaving home for college. Like I do on each of her birthdays, I think back to the day she was born, the day that changed my life. The moment I first saw her is still fresh and clear in my mind. I wrote about it in Why a Daughter Needs a Dad:

“When my wife told me she was pregnant I was overjoyed and quick to believe that the baby would indeed be a girl. Throughout the pregnancy I spoke of the baby as “her” or “she,” never as “it.” When I saw the first sonogram I could tell that our baby was a girl. Even though the doctor said it was too early to tell, I was convinced and thereafter believed my hopes and dreams about fatherhood were coming true. I was in the delivery room when she arrived. The first person she looked at was me. I was smitten instantly.”

And smitten, I still most certainly am!

I received this email over the weekend:

“We had a book fair at work today and I purchased your book, ‘Why A Son Needs A Mom.’ My son is 22 and currently serving in the US Navy. He will be home this weekend to ask his girlfriend to marry him prior to his deployment and I wanted something special for him, as I'm sure you know, the engagement and marriage is more geared to the woman. When I saw your book I knew it was the perfect gift. It is a very nice way to help him understand what our relationship has meant to me and also to show him what his children, if he is so blessed to have them will mean to him. Thank you for writing this book. It is going to be part of a very special weekend.”

My Cumberland House editor likes the revised introduction to Why I Still Love You, so that book is now put to bed except for a little tweaking that might be needed as it is proofread. It should be out this Fall. I’ll post a paragraph of two from the new intro later this week.

I now have 42 vignettes to use in Daddy’s Little Girl, and several interviews scheduled this week. Traffic to the website and this blog is up, so I hope that means more stories are to follow shortly. I’m happy with the progress I’m making on this project!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody, and kiss ‘em, too, if you can get away with it!

No comments: