Monday, April 30, 2007

It was a great weekend!

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

My multi-prong approach to reaching people for this project is beginning to pay dividends. In addition to obtaining stories through this blog and my website, I’ve now been contacted through my MySpace page. Here is a clip from a recent email to that site:

“I am a long-distance dad to the most precious people in my life, my two wonderful daughters. I just bought your book (Why a Daughter Needs a Dad) and as I sat and read it, I just wept. I sent up a prayer, ‘Please let me be even one -third of the person described here’. Thank you, Gregory, for this book. It will always be close by me as a reminder of the most important goals in my life.”

It’s nice when a plan works, isn’t it? As of this AM I have 82 written daughter-dad vignettes and nine interviews, with more of both on the way. Thanks so much to you all for your support!

Today’s photo comes from an afternoon when I was taking photos of a friend’s daughters, including this young lady who dreams of being a competitive cheerleader. With a smile like that, I think she could cheer nearly anyone, don’t you?

The following story was written by Blake Sebring of Fort Wayne, IN, and appeared over the weekend in the News-Sentinel. It told of the death of a WWII hero and his son:

“After the service, a chaplain knelt next to Vivian Ball to explain the gratitude the nation and the people of this country owed her husband and why he was allowed to join so many others in this hallowed ground. Arlington is the most revered ground in our country, the chaplain said, because of the people who are laid to rest there and what they have sacrificed for us and the country.

‘It was one of the proudest moments of my life,’ Arnie Ball said. ‘It was a wonderful, wonderful honor for our family.’

So Thursday night when Ball’s IPFW team was beating Loyola-Chicago for the right to play for the MIVA Tournament title and the NCAA Tournament berth today, their coach wasn’t yet fully recovered from the moment. Luckily, the Volleydons were so well- prepared and played so well he hardly had to say much, but he got through it with the help of long-time assistants Denny Johnson, Mark Franke and Ryan Perrotte. Arnie Ball will have another chance at one of those moments today when the Volleydons play Ohio State at 5 p.m., with the winner advancing to the NCAA Tournament.

Asked how he got through the semifinal match, Ball said, ‘You do it because of the support you have from your wife and your kids and your team. One Father’s Day Lloy gave me a book called Why a Son Needs a Dad, and it talks about work ethic. He wrote in it, ‘I learned this from you as you learned it from Grandpa Ball.’ That’s how you get through it."

Because he survived D-Day and was awarded a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart, Lloyd Ball was buried at Arlington National Cemetery. My thanks and prayers go out to the Ball family.

Sometimes readers send along less than a story, but it doesn’t matter. There is gold even in a few sentences much of the time:

“My dad taught me how to parallel park with a diesel station wagon. I am ever so grateful because I can squeeze a car into any spot without a bang, scratch or bump! Thanks dad!”

I took the family to Statesboro GA this weekend to visit the campus of Georgia Southern University, one of the colleges on Meagan’s list. I really don’t want her to be that far away (4 hours) but wasn’t sure how to say that without being the overbearing dad she sometimes accuses me of. As I was pondering a mini-speech, she was looking out the window as we drove though the sleepy little southern town. “Where in the world would I get my nails done,” she asked. I knew then I no longer needed to worry.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

chelsea` said...

Hey, I saw your comment on my blog. Hmm, how can I help? I'm not all that sure.Though I do feel honoured that I was approached(: