Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Seeds Today, a Soul Tomorrow


I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

The photo above is of Ray D. and his daughter, Bethany, taken several years ago. I suppose it is a favorite photo; I can see why. I also have favorite photos of Meagan, some I’ve carried in my wallet for over 15 years. Faded and tattered, yes. Less beloved, certainly not. I guess all dads hold on to those memories of daddy’s little girl, when they thought we were hero’s who carried the world on our shoulders and could do anything but fly. I interviewed Ray today and had a great chat with him for a little more than a half-hour. In that time I learned he is wholly devoted to his child, he speaks of her with great pride and affection. I know she will grow up under the care and guidance of a Dad who loves her, a Dad who intends to make a difference in her life. He made a statement I liked a lot, one about “planting seeds” for habits and qualities, a personality and soul, really, he hopes his daughter will develop later in life. It gave me an idea for a chapter in the new book, one I look forward to writing. Thanks Ray, and best wishes to you and your sweet Angel.

I spent much of the morning sending email queries to magazine publishers around the southern US, hoping someone would take an interest in doing a story on the “little books that could,” as some call my series. I’ve never really had a publicist other than myself; it is boring but necessary work, trying to generate interest in myself as an author. Some folks think I’m a celebrity. That’s hardly the case; if I were, media would be coming to me rather than me begging them for page space. So far, no bites. Argh.

After that I did a blog search for new mentions of me or my books, and sent invitations to those bloggers to participate in the new book project. I’ve recently created a basic MySpace page that I plan to customize so that it looks similar to my website and blog. Once I’ve done that I will reach out to other MySpace users in hopes that some will be interested in sending me stories about their daughter-dad experiences.

I told Meagan I was having postcards printed to hand out at open events, again in an effort to attract story contributors. She has threatened to run over me in the parking lot if I show up at her school.

I am researching podcasting as yet another platform for reaching my readers. Ultimately I hope to have a multimedia approach to keeping in touch with folks who buy my books, so of course that means YouTube will be included in that plan. I asked the girls to work with me on a video; of course they said “No.” It still perplexes me why the way I earn the money is square or embarrassing to them, but their desire to spend it is unaffected by that same embarrassment.

I answer all my fan mail (wish I got more). Today I wrote a letter to Amanda of Salem, Oregon. She wrote to me in pencil; must be a 3rd grader. Her arm or hand smeared most of the pencil lead, so it was hard to read, but it was sweet nonetheless. I save these letters – they encourage me when I worry that I don’t know what I’m doing.

I’m about to call someone else I’m to interview today, an adult daughter. Stay tuned for more of Daddy’s Little Girl.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: