Friday, April 13, 2007

With One Hand

Welcome to my blog, a public diary chronicling the writing and publication of my newest book, Daddy’s Little Girl: True Stories about Fathers and Daughters (Harper San Francisco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers).

My purpose in keeping this diary is to give updates about the book’s progress to those who have shared their stories with me.

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

I sent an email to about 1,000 people on Wednesday announcing this book project. So far I’ve receive twenty-one offers to submit stories or participate in interviews, so I’m pretty happy about the early response. The stories that have come in already are great; I’m very optimistic about how this book is going to turn out.

Aarrrrgh! I take my camera everywhere I go, including to the NC coast last week as I was out signing books and conducting interviews. Some dune debris got on the sensor of my digital SLR while I was changing lenses at the beach, and I tried to blow it off. Apparently I spit at the same time, too. Every photo has an ugly smear right across the middle of the image, just like someone wiped a booger on the photo. Note to self – use the lens cleaning kit next time, and don’t change lenses in the wind.

The good people at WOAI-TV in San Antonio, TX have offered to mention this book project on the air when they do their book club show. Thanks Karina!

I got my first mention on the Publisher’s Lunch deal announcement! Thanks to those fellow authors who have emailed to me a note of congratulations.

Even though the life of being an author seems care, stress and worry free, I still have to deal with Average Joe moments. Like this morning when I went out to get the newspaper, I had to walk through a web of toilet paper Meagan’s friends had strung between the trees on either side of the porch steps. It took me two hours on a tall ladder with a long pole to clean out the trees. Oh, and I had the help of a few retired gentlemen who were standing on the curb, coffee in hand, advising me on how they would have handled the job differently.

OK, off to put the final touches on the introduction for Why I Still Love You, then make myself go to the gym, attend to the honey-do list, and wrap Meagan’s birthday presents. My little angel is turning 17 on Monday; tonight is her B-Day dinner out. My, how time flies. One time in the past, I could hold her with one hand.

I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: