Friday, May 11, 2007

15 Days Innocent

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is Baby Rylee McElmoyl, the new daughter of our neighbors. She’s 15 days old now. What a cutie!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

This just in from a very happy dad:

“Several weeks ago my wife and I went to my oldest daughter’s parent’s weekend for her sorority at the university she is attending. After dinner with several of her friend’s families my daughter asked if I would go on a date with her that night. It had been awhile since we had been on one since she had lived in a different city her whole first year in college. My wife knew how much this would mean to my daughter and me so she said she would just go back to the hotel. My daughter took me to a place where she enjoyed hanging out with her friends. We played pool for hours beating everyone we played. I got to know her friends and finally way after I would have normally gone to bed I took her back to the dorm. We sat in the car talking and she told me how proud of me she was and how she had just wanted all of her friends to know how “cool” I was. She could never have paid me a better complement. I had thought the date nights were over and that she had grown up but hopefully there are many more to come.”

Meagan and I had date nights, too, and the memories of those times spent together, just the two of us, get me through so many days of doubt and worry.

I found this little review in a New Jersey newspaper this morning:

It's all about moms by any name
Mother's Day officially is Sunday, but we're of the opinion that this entire weekend should be about Mom, Mommy, Step-mom, Mamma or Mother by any other name. Sure, we're thankful for our moms, but how often do we say "thank you" for all the things — big and small — they have done for us through the years?

Author Gregory E. Lang takes on the task in his latest book, "Thank You, Mom: 100 Reasons Why I Am Grateful for You". Lang knows that he can't possibly thank his mother enough for everything she did for him while he was growing up, but he tries in these pages. In doing so, he touches on the many universal themes that mothers and their children have always shared.”

I took Meagan to school yesterday, the first time since she got her car and license 13 months ago. Nothing has changed: she was still late for the time of departure; ate breakfast in the car, leaving crumbs everywhere; insisted on listening to her music instead of my talk radio; put on her makeup during most of the ride, leaving smudges on the mirrored visor; snapped at me a few times because apparently I was “asking too many questions”; and warned me to behave myself as I pulled onto the campus parking lot. Then she said “I love you” and kissed me as she got out of the car. Thankfully, nothing has changed.

Linley had a minor medical emergency that required a visit to the ER. During the check-in process she was asked if she had any allergies. She does, to horse and cat hair. They actually put that info on a wrist band and made her wear it. Whew, I was reassured then they would not accidentally bring a horse into the room! As we were led into the only available room we discovered it was a psychiatric emergency room, one with almost nothing on the walls, restraints on the bed, a locking door that could not be opened from inside the room, and a surveillance camera. As she sat on the bed and looked out into the ER she asked me why everyone stared at her. It was field day at school that day and the kids wear weird outfits; today she looked like a homeless Pippi Longstockings. Soon we learned she needed to have blood drawn and she hates needles, so I tried to distract her by restraining myself to the bed. Just then the fire alarm went off – no not really but for a moment I imagined this as a scene on Seinfeld – me trying to run from the room with a bed attached to my leg.

Jill asked me to go to Moe’s Southwest Grill to pick up a meal she could take to work the next day. She wanted a Naked Home Wrecker to go (a burrito in a bowl instead of the wrap). I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: