Wednesday, May 02, 2007

An Angel on Earth

Sometimes the lessons parents should teach their children are obvious and rather easy. Other times, important lessons are abstract, if not elusive. Now and then the lesson isn’t a didactic exercise between a parent and child, but an example given by a parent that the child will later emulate. Often the parent must undergo change before he/she can be the example a child needs. Sometimes the child is the teacher. In all cases, certainly life is the classroom.

What are the essential lessons a dad must teach a daughter, either directly or by example, to assure she matures into a well rounded adult woman? What can the daughter teach the dad? What do they learn together? These are the questions to be addressed by Daddy’s Little Girl.

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo was sent to me by Mrs. Giles from http://www.suziepetunia.blogspot.com/. That’s little Alice Rose, held by her dad, the proud Father of his fourth Angel.

Folks have written to ask what kind of material I’m looking for. There is no particular format or length for a story; it is a wide open opportunity to share what you wish. I’m looking for true stories that are heartfelt and inspirational, the kind of thing other daughters and dads would derive hope and guidance from after reading.

Write what you want – a story, a poem, a random collection of thoughts, etc. I want to hear what you learned from the relationship, how it has changed over the years, favorite memories, silly times, how you two dealt with conflict, etc. The stories can be about good or bad times, as long as the result is something others can learn from.

I want the book to be honest. If either of you made mistakes, tell me; other may learn what not to do. If you've worked through issues, tell me how. If you have hope for how things will get better, what are those hopes?

Here are two fine examples of what daughters have sent in:

“He’s a very tender man; I love that about my dad. He cries during sentimental moments in commercials, movies or TV shows. He loves good classical music, and if it moves him enough you can see him sitting listening intently with his eyes closed and a soft smile on his face and a little tear rolling down his cheek. Recently as he walked me down the aisle to my new husband-to-be on my wedding day, he cried more than I did! We had a moment in the kitchen before hand making faces at each other and telling funny stories to help us to not be too blubbery. He makes me laugh and smile and feel so good about the decisions I make in my life.”

…and…

“My dad one told me, ‘The day you were born, I looked at you and knew that I loved you, more than anything in the whole world. I promised myself I would take care of you for as long as I had breath. I would cry so that you didn’t have to; starve so that you could eat; hurt so you would feel no pain. My whole life my dad kept that promise, his love for me has always been my comfort. My world is better for having him in it. With him I found a love that never waivers.”

I need to hear from more dads! Daughters are coming from all corners of the world (the UK, Australia, Spain, Japan, Egypt) to praise you; now return the gesture and honor your daughters!

The next ten things I will teach my grandchildren:
11. Thermostats are toys; turn them on and off or up and down whenever you wish.
12. When in a sushi restaurant pretend the chopsticks are drumsticks and play Wipe Out over and over again.
13. Whining is a right, exercise it.
14. Always bring home more overnight guests than you were allowed to invite.
15. Never help clean up after a party.
16. If it’s the last one, eat it before someone else does.
17. Wait until you can’t hold it any longer before you announce as loudly as possible that you have to pee.
18. Get hysterical for no reason other than the fun of seeing how your parents become hysterical too.
19. Hide your trash in the cup holder, door pockets, between the seats and all other nooks and crannies of your parents’ car.
20. Never return anything you’ve borrowed.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

May I also contribute? I have a father that adopted me, we had a very rough life together but are now closer than ever... He's very ill right now.. I would love to share in my father/daughter experience...

littlehouse said...

Hi Greg, thank you so much for your comment on my blog - only one post and already some thoughts for me. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I love your project about Dads and daughters, such a precious relationship. All the best,