Monday, May 21, 2007

Angels Abound



I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Watch out for temptation—the more you see of it the better it looks.

I’ve got three photos for you today. The first, a vintage photo given to me by Richard W. of FL, is of his daughter. Obviously it was taken years ago, yet he is still attached to it as if it were taken yesterday. I understand that; I have photos in my wallet that are nearly 16 years old and I refuse to part with them.

The second photo is if my friend Mike and his daughter; he and members of his family have posed for me from time to time. Haley assumed that pose all on her own, not cues from me. Certainly she is daddy’s little girl now, and will be for years to come.

The last photo is of my friend Jeanine (far right) with her sisters and infant nephew. These four women are all daddy’s girls, and I have just the story to prove it!

I found this nice review on the Barnes and Noble website:
From Our Editors
Gregory Lang's Thank You, Dad contains 100 great reasons to revere fathers. The eclectic list includes "teaching me how to drive," "making time to play with me when I needed your attention," "teaching me to share my time as well as my things," and "attending all of my events." A fond thank you from every grateful, tongue-tied son.

It’s always a pleasant surprise when you discover your teen speaks fondly of you behind you back. I ran into a neighbor yesterday as she was walking her twin toddlers. Jill commented on how Virginia’s hair is finally growing out and the mom told us of how Meagan (their babysitter) once reminisced about how I did her hear each morning before dropping her off at daycare. Yep, brushed her teeth and clipper her nails, too. I’m so glad she remembers it. I also hope that when I am old, she’ll return the favor.

Jill and I had dinner outside on the lawn of a friend’s house this weekend; Allison’s mom and dad were in attendance. Still a bit cool at night around here, Bob got cold and got up to go into the house. We all thought he wasn’t coming back, but moments later he emerged wearing Allison’s bathrobe. He took his seat, grabbed his wine glass and raised it with a nod to all before taking a sip. Yes, with age comes a relaxed comfort; I can’t wait.

One daughter shared with me the eulogy she gave her father recently. It included this sentiment: “He taught me that beauty is from within person and a hand shake is your word and your promise. I love my Daddy and he will always be the best part of me.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!



1 comment:

Susan said...

I am very interested in contributing to your book. How long is too long and how short is too short?