Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Be among the few

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is of my uncle, Stanley Brown, and three of his four daughters. This photo appears in my new book Thank You, Dad. Stanley has been an advisor, mentor, confidant and friend to me for all of my life. I’ve watched him raise his girls since they were born and much of what I saw influences how I parented Meagan. He’s a good man, a great father, and I love him a whole-hell-of-a-lot as we say down here in the south.

I am amazed by your response to this project. I have now received 250 stories since beginning this quest for putting into words the love and magic of the father-daughter relationship. Thank you all so much!

Thanks Linda for the kind words of encouragement you have posted on this blog. In one you said:

“You sound like the dream dad for so many girls. We all want to feel this special in his eyes. At my husband's and my stage of life we are facing some regrets - not large, horrible ones, just the thoughtless comment, the flippant response to something, things like that.”

Listen hon’, I ain’t no dream dad (forgive the redneck dialect, but I did hang out with a gang of ‘em last weekend); I’ve made plenty of mistakes. We are on the same team as far as that goes. I’m not gifted with the art of doing the right thing or saying the right thing every time. In fact, I all too often have blown it. But I am gifted, or cursed depending on your perspective, with the talent for writing about my mistakes in a way others can read, enjoy and take a lesson from. The lesson today is simple – all parents make mistakes, but too few own up to them and make amends for them. Be among the few.

This is an excerpt from a sweet story I received yesterday:

“I remember being a small girl standing at my daddies’ feet waiting on my favorite breakfast, cheese eggs. He knew it was my favorite. I still remember his smile as he scooped them onto my plate. And there we sat. I was the luckiest girl in the world. I could not eat them fast enough; after all, the fish were waiting. I was my daddy’s little tomboy back then.

Years have gone by and some memories have faded. But looking back these are the things I can say my dad taught me. My dad taught me to dance to the beat of the music. He taught me to drive always wearing a seatbelt. He even taught me to fly a plane (and we lived to tell about it). He taught me to enjoy the finest breads. I cannot go by a bread store without stopping and savoring the aroma and thinking of my dad. And he taught me to love peanut butter with cheddar cheese sandwiches at bedtime.”

Another adult daughter told me of her dad’s habit of keeping a journal about their activities and his observations of his child:

“I have learned incredible things from my dad, and am very thankful he kept that journal. I enjoy looking back in it to read his hopes for me and lessons he was trying to teach me.”

Now that’s a cool idea. It reminded me of The Meagan Box I mentioned in an earlier post. We always have fun when looking through it. It is now full and my memories are spilling over into a bottom drawer. I only hope Meagan and Linley will one day read the books I’ve written for them and come to know that in spite of my mistakes, I loved them and meant well in all that I tried to do.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: