Friday, May 18, 2007

BIG LOVE




I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Please note: If you send a story by email please include your name in the document. Otherwise, once the story is detached from your email I lose track of who to contact in the event I have questions.

I’ve got three photos for you today. The B&W one is of a former co-worker’s daughter; I took it a few years and I love her dimples. The color photos of dads and daughters were given to me by my new friends Sarah (with her Dad in front of the shrub) and Kim (that’s her daughter and husband). Keep ‘em coming, folks.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Everyone has patience - but too few learn how to use it.

More excerpts from stories I’ve received, along with a little commentary (italics):

“I could not celebrate being pregnant because I felt I had brought shame to my family; I didn’t feel like ‘Daddy’s little girl’ anymore. I sat on the floor in an empty apartment, crying, waiting for my daddy to get there.

He arrived and sat cross-legged on the floor with me; I cried. He knew only that I was not going to marry the man I loved. I finally said, ‘I’m pregnant,’ and waited for his response. His eyes sparkled and he replied, ‘YES! I’m going to have another grandchild!’”

That, ladies and gentlemen, is BIG love! It is a wonderful dad who celebrates such news when so many others might have expressed disappointment.

“My dad was one of the silliest, cheesiest dads of all time. As a teenager I think I was annoyed by this, but as I got older I loved having a dad that was funny and cool. My friends and my sister’s friends always loved him and joked around with him. He was like a dad and a friend to anyone who came around. He used to sing goofy songs around the house and in the car, and he always had a blunt comment or a corny joke to make us laugh.”

Maybe there’s hope for me yet!

“I am a single father, who has the joy of raising my 4 year old daughter. I wanted to thank you for writing the book Why a Daughter Needs a Dad; its words are extremely powerful. My favorite and the one that resonates more than any other is ‘A daughter needs a dad, because without him she will have less in her life than she deserves.’
Your book has provided strength, inspiration, and tears. Thank you for supporting me without even knowing me.”

Divorce need not deprive a child from one of the parents; one can only be an ex-spouse, never an ex-mom or ex-dad. It takes two to make a child, folks, and two to raise them, even if in different homes.

“Divorces are ugly, difficult, and may inflict emotional wounds, but they will heal given the proper treatment, i.e. continuous reassurance that there is nothing in this world that will stop parents from loving their children unconditionally. I guess I am one of the lucky few; I turned out alright.”

A woman’s words, not mine. I’ll refrain from saying “I told you so.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!



2 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Just a quick comment to say thanks for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog.

I'll take a look through my writings and see if I can find anything that might be of use for your book.

Wishing you all the best,

Kim

Whitney said...

I would love to make a contribution to your book! Thank you for taking interest in me! How did you even find my blog? Well, the only other question I have is what would you like me to do? Do you just want a short story, or a longer one? Also, how soon would you like it? Just let me know! And if you have any other questions for me, just let me know!

~Whitney