Wednesday, May 09, 2007

How far?

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is from my book Thank You, Mom and features three generations of daughters. As I watched these ladies interact during this photo session I couldn’t help but wonder how far out into the family tree does a father’s influence reach? If he treats his daughter like the prize of his heart, does she then live in a way that affects her own daughter’s choice for a husband, who then has expectations for how that husband will interact with their daughter (the great-grandchild of the first father), and so on? If anyone has thoughts on this topic, I’d love to hear them.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Sometimes I think I’m really just a cabbie. Yesterday I drove Linley to school by way of Starbuck’s (40 minutes), picked her up from school and drove her to cheer practice by way of Dairy Queen (40 minutes) and then took her to an overnight party (1 hour & 50 minutes roundtrip). No wonder I put over 25,000 miles a year on a car.

The things we parents will do to make our children happy. Jill and I have spent hours trying to find a bakery to make a custom cake for Meagan’s birthday party this weekend. Who would have thought a hot pink high-heeled shoe cake would be such an odd request? Obviously, not Meagan.

Meagan and I were sharing some daddy-daughter time on the couch the other night watching one of her programs when I turned to her and said, “I can’t believe you will be leaving for college in just over a year.”
“I know,” she said, then added, “I’m scared.”
“Why would you be scared?”
“I’m such a baby.”
“And whose fault is that?”
That was when she reached out and smacked me on the back of the head. “What were you thinking?” she asked.
I wonder myself sometimes.

I got this in a letter someone sent me yesterday:

“If anything, I am guilty of thinking that he is the perfect father, after all, he is MY DAD. I would justify his actions so that I could maintain this perfect image of him in my mind. But he is only human, and he makes mistakes too, some trivial, some more serious, and that is alright. Life is not just about being perfect, life is about being real, facing reality and giving your best to every situation you encounter and accepting the outcome, be it good or bad. I know he is giving his best to be my father.”

Don’t we men all hope in retrospect our daughters, indeed all our children, think we gave our best at being good fathers?

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Greg...Thank you very much for your email message,
This looks like such a beautiful site!
When my dad is feeling a little better, I will look at your posts and write some comments.
So kind of you to email!..Your's truly Teresa[Golden] Shirkie, Ontario Canada