Thursday, May 17, 2007

Indian Princess


I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Nothing is as strong as gentleness. Nothing is as gentle as moral strength.

Holy moly (never understood what that phrase means)! This blog had 158 visits yesterday!

Today’s B&W photo is of Lucy Schoenrock (what about those eyes!), another of my neighbors. To learn more of how 100 live crickets came into play on a recent camping trip with her dad, Peter, read on. The color photo was sent in by my new friend Patty and her dad. The pull-the-heart-strings story she sent made me cry in my morning coffee.

Let me address a few questions that have come in recently:
1. Yes, I write for money. Hey, I have a Queen, two Princesses and a dog, each with her own clothing & grooming budget.
2. Yes, wives are welcome to send in stories about their husbands and daughters.
3. No, the photos are not going to appear in the book, just on this blog.
4. Yes, you may change names to protect the innocent.
5. Yes, sad stories are also welcome. We learn just as much from tears and heartache as we do from cheers and laughter.
6. No, your story does not need to be a short story. Many have sent in short but powerful paragraphs that work just fine.
7. No, you will not have a chapter of your own. Your stories will be embedded within my own writing, as if I’m having a conversation with the reader telling of my own fathering experiences and those I know of as told to me by other dads and/or their daughters.
8. Yes, you may submit more than one story.

I correspond with a divorced dad from time to time who struggles with his ex to stay involved with his children. I sent this to him recently: “Stay the course. The only thing that would stick in a girl’s mind longer than how much her dad loves her would be the memory of him giving up and walking away from her. You are doing the right thing.” Would you agree, or disagree, with me? Why?

Now this is a quote from a loving and inspired daughter that would flatter any dad: “In the face of darkness, he sees only the light.”

Here are a few segments of stories I received yesterday, presented here to help you think of what you might like to write:

“My dad taught me how to love and bring literature to life by reading Winnie the Pooh with us kids on the sofa and we each acted out a character. It was hilarious! I love Pooh to this day.”

“I call my daddy every morning. We talk, we laugh, we reminisce and most importantly, he always has a story to tell that I can learn a “life lesson” from. I draw strength from his wisdom. Other family members say he is unsurpassed as a grandfather, loving brother, gentle, dedicated husband, incomparable friend. He’s a caretaker for God. I named my son, my only child, after him. I know my years with him are numbered; I don’t take them for granted, I honor and cherish the moments. I hug my dad and still to this day, rest my head on his chest. In his presence, I am loved. In his arms, I am safe.”

My confession: Perhaps the real impetus for this book is this - my readers periodically assume I am the greatest dad ever and wish their father or husband would be more like me. Reading those emails are simultaneously humbling and guilt inducing moments, for I am very aware of my own failures and shortcomings as a parent. I carry with me the desire to go back and change a few things, if only I could. Of course I cannot, but I can help others to avoid the mistakes I’ve made as a parent, and learn valuable parenting lessons from you. Please write.

Sometimes just a sentence can make all the difference. I got this email today: “The book Why a Daughter Needs a Dad means so much to me I had the boarder design tattooed around my arm.”

Oh, yeah, Lucy and crickets. She and Dad were attending an Indian Princess camp one recent weekend when the boy campers invaded and tried to scare the girls with Silly String and rubber snakes and bugs. One scheming dad made a visit to a bait shop, returned to camp and released 100 love crickets in the boys’ tent. The girls slept well; the boys, not so well.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!


2 comments:

ViNĂ­cULa said...

beautiful girls


http://blogdomaluco.blogspot.com/

Ginny said...

I just love the "Thought for the day" quote...and I couldn't agree more! Gentle strength is a powerful, rare and endearing quality.