Thursday, May 03, 2007

A new record


I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is from Thank You, Dad and is of my cousin Jeff Register and his daughter. Now I’m not sure if she is my second cousin, a cousin once removed, not my cousin at all, or what. That whole thing confuses me!

Just a bit of a career update – I’m attempting to land a syndication deal for a newspaper column about family experiences and a deal with a speakers bureau. Among my friends I’m referred to as a male Erma Bombeck; hopefully I’ll get to road test that reputation. Cross your fingers for me, please.

Speaking of fame, I’m watching an interview with Pastor Rick Warren on Fox News. He is rich and famous and deserves every bit of it. Why am I bringing him up? Remember the Ashley Smith/Brian Nichols saga in Atlanta? According to her book Unlikely Angel, Mr. Nichols picked up my book Why a Daughter Needs a Dad before eventually reaching for The Purpose Drive Life. Oh, so close.

I had a wonderful interview/conversation with Sara W. last night; she is remarkably wise for her age. I’m glad we met; I learned a few things from her and look forward to using her thoughts in the book Daddy’s Little Girl. Although these are not her exact words, here are a few lessons she taught this dad:

1. Emotional distance leaves scars.
2. Make sure you child isn’t teaching you something you should be teaching your child.
3. Never be guilty of not knowing who your children are.
4. Faith heals.

And while we were talking about the importance of a dad showing a daughter how she should be treated by men, I realized I’ve never heard a woman say, “I want a husband who will yell at me when he isn’t ignoring me.” Dear Lord, please help me lead my daughters to want more than that.

I took these two examples of a daughter’s love from letters I received yesterday:

“Dad, I love you because you loved my mother. Oh, how you loved my mother. You made me yearn for that kind of love in marriage. Even today, the sacrificial love that you demonstrate towards her sets a high standard for all of your children.”
…and…

“Nothing in this world makes a girl feel more special than an adoring father who lets his daughter sit on his lap for as long as she wants, who spends rainy days sharing secrets and building tents in the living room, and who plays with Barbie dolls just because it makes your eyes light up.”

This blog had a record high of 105 visits yesterday! Thanks so much to you all for telling your friends about my project!

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

California Girl said...

What a nice project. My husband would love this. He is a father to his daughter like no other.