Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Some Suggestions


I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

These photos were sent to me by Richard Wirsching of FL. A proud and loving father, he sends me song lyrics, poems and little recollections of things he shared with his daughter long ago. Yes, the gift of sweet memories is a lovely gift indeed.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: A good laugh is sunshine in a house.

This is something I can really relate to, a sentiment shared with me by Steve Norris of Pasadena:

“Perhaps the most haunting thought, or really more of a feeling, is that of loss. It is indeed time for me to grow up, along with my daughters. There are lots of things I miss these days, and I think it has a lot to do with the ages of my girls (11 and 14). I miss little girls. Girls that come up to your knee or your waist at most. I miss being gang tackled when I come home from work with screams of "Daddy!" I miss sitting at dinner and having someone tell me "the best part of school today was recess". I miss one particular daughter constantly falling out of her chair at dinner because she was laughing too hard. I miss reading together in bed. I miss watching completely ridiculous Disney movies together.”

Again, I can’t help but reassure myself and say, the gift of sweet memories is a lovely gift indeed.

One daughter reflected on lessons her dad taught: “Even though my father had taught me to never doubt my abilities, he had also taught me the humility to see those abilities without conceit.”

Several have written to ask me about what kind of stories should be submitted. There is no particular format or length for a story; it is a wide open opportunity to share what you wish. I’m looking for true stories that are heartfelt and inspirational, the kind of thing other daughters and dads would derive hope and guidance from after reading.

Write what you want – a story, a poem, a random collection of thoughts, etc. I want to hear what you learned from the relationship, how it has changed over the years, favorite memories, silly times, how you two dealt with conflict, etc. The stories can be about good or bad times, as long as the result is something others can learn from.

I want the book to be honest. If either of you made mistakes, tell me; other may learn what not to do. If you've worked through issues, tell me how. If you have hope for how things will get better, what are those hopes?

Perhaps some suggestions:

For Dads
1. What are your favorite memories of daughter-dad moments spent together?
2. What are your hopes and dreams for your daughter?
3. If you are single, how do you handle being a dad and dating?
4. If your daughter is married, what was it like to see another man enter her life?
5. How has having a daughter changed you?
6. What advice would you give new dads of daughters?
7. What regrets, if any, do you have about the way you parented your daughter?
8. If you also have a son, what is the difference, if any, in raising boys and girls?
9. What was the great mystery for you when raising a daughter?
10. How do you want your daughter to remember you?

For Daughters
1. What are your favorite memories of time spent with dad?
2. If there were things your dad didn’t understand about girls, what were they and how did you help him?
3. What aspects of your relationship changed over the years and how do you feel about that change?
4. What advice would you give new dads of daughters?
5. What was the occasion when you first understood how much your dad really loved you?
6. Does/did your relationship with your dad affect your other relationships with men? If so, how?
7. What, if anything, do men really need to learn and understand about raising daughters?
8. When did you dad begin to see you as a mature adolescent/adult instead of a little girl?
9. In what ways do you hope your relationship with your dad will change?
10. How would your dad say if asked “Tell me about your daughter.”?

These are just suggestions but anything is game so long as it is inspirational and informative to daughters and dads looking to better understand each other.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!


No comments: