Friday, June 01, 2007

The Angel and the Piglet

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

For those who would like to submit a story but don’t want to write one, I am happy to conduct telephone interviews.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is an “extra” I took while photographing a group of siblings for the Brothers and Sisters book. Little Miss was so excited about her Piglet she insisted over and over again I take her picture. I’m so glad she was so persistent.

Here is a poem my friend Bean wrote for her dad on his birthday:

Dad

You laugh you sing you take a chance
You stand for peace, integrity and romance

You always spoke the truth when asked
And showed us how to make good times last

A rare example of what I consider a “man”
Kisses his wife and still holds her hand

Walks beside her in good times and in bad
From 16 to 60 you prove love isn’t just a fad

Your daughters look up to you and your grandchildren too
Matter of fact so does everyone who knows you

You told me to jump one time from a tree
And promised that you would be there to catch me

After that day, the lesson stayed with me
Without faith and trust, nothing are we

I can’t be with you and celebrate today
But from the bottom of my heart I wish you a happy 60th birthday!

Love,
Bean

Wonderful, don't you think?

You know the stereotype of the dad who turns his back on his daughter when she “disgraces” him by becoming pregnant before she is married. I hope that is really myth, a character in old fashioned fiction. I’ve heard from several women since beginning this project who have told me a story like this one:

“My dad has never fallen short of supporting me in whatever I do. I got pregnant at the age of 19, and although he was disappointed in my actions he never quit loving me. He has loved my daughter unconditionally and been a positive male role model in her life, which is important to her and to I. He is not only my dad, but my best friend and confidant. He’s an amazing man, and I’m truly lucky to have my dad as a father.”

You are indeed.

This blog has set a new record; it had 1643 blog visits in May. So did my website; it had 1152 visits and 55,404 hits!

Please take a look at the questions I am going to post tomorrow. Now that I’ve read all the stories sent thus far, I see a few holes so I’m going to post questions that will help fill out the discussion about daddy-daughter relationships.

We are on our summer vacation next week and I’ve promised my girls I will recreate and not work, so you will not find another update post until Monday, June 11th.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: