Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Daddy, the Beholder



I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, http://www.gregoryelang.com/, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is of a long-time friend of our youngest, Linley. Her name is Jackie and she let me photograph her during a visit to our home. I think it is an obvious photo choice today, and I think you’ll agree. Read on…

I love this story so I thought I’d share it. It is a great example of what I’m looking for. If you have a similar memory, please write it down and share it with me.

“One day when I was about 4 years old, my mom looked at me and saw that my left eye turned inward. She marched me into an optometrist and a couple of hours later I had my first pair of glasses.

My glasses were neither sleek nor stylish; they were about as thick as coke bottles, and bifocals to boot. All the way home my mom tried to get me to think positively about the new addition to my face. I wanted to be positive, but I had a sense of dread about what the other kids would say about me wearing these massive pieces of glass on my face.

For as long as I live I will remember what happened that evening. My dad came home from work and I was worried about what he might say. I stood in the kitchen while he sat down and took a long look at me. Then, with the utmost authority, he said I was beautiful. "Go to the mirror and see for yourself,” he said, “you're a movie star."

I remember walking into the bathroom and gazing at myself in the mirror. My father's words sank deep into my heart and I remembering thinking happily to myself, "I do look like a movie star." My feelings of self-doubt and insecurity were swept away. At that moment, I was ready to deal with anything that anybody had to say about me. My dad thought I was beautiful and that was enough for me.

Looking back at pictures I can say unequivocally that I did not look like a movie star, but that isn't what matters. What matters is knowing that to my dad I was a movie star. I was important, worthwhile and beautiful, even with my new glasses. My father's words meant more to me at that moment than anything anyone else could have said.

I held his words in my heart and it got me through those tough teenage years when girls wonder if they're pretty, talented and struggle at times with self-esteem. A father's words do indeed have such a lasting impact on daughters.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

4 comments:

Gustogirl said...

The picture of the little girl is darling, but her glasses are way too cute. I am sorry I wasn't able to scan a pic of me from that time. I looked through a couple boxes in the garage, but wasn't able to find my scrapbook. Thanks for posting my story!

LikeAstaR said...

This is actuallya story about my sister and my dad.. (my sister is GUSTOGIRL). OUr dad passed away when I was only 5 and I have very rare memories that emerge from time to time, but a snapsoht-esque and don't really feel concrete. Reading this story (that I have heard from her mayn times) make me tear up for the loss that my dad continues to be in my life. Now, I am a mother and I think of my son and wonder what qualities he has from my dad, etc. Someone explained greif to me in a perfect way when she said "gref is like a little stone that you carry around with you whereever you are. You become a masterful hider of that stone so that others can't see it.. and sometimes it feels lighter to you than at other times. But that greif is always there in your pocket, small as it may be. You are just managing it." I lvoe your project, and thanks for including my sister's words.

pinkmorning said...

i have enjoyed reading your blog. this particular post made me get misty as well. gustogirl is my sister too. thanks for posting this story.

Gustogirl said...

To see a picture of me and my movie star glasses visit http://gustogirl.blogspot.com/