Friday, June 29, 2007

Book Report

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo was given to me by Pastor Ron from Illinois. It is of him and his 26 year old daughter, Kelli. I enjoy dancing, but I sure hope this particular daddy-daughter dance is well, well down the road for Meagan and me. Ron’s son is also getting married soon. I dread the day the nest begins to empty…

I promised an update today. Here goes:

My editor and I have talked and now have a singular vision for how this book will materialize. I think it is going to be a great product; I’m excited about the direction we are taking. I don’t know why so many authors complain about their editors; I’ve never seen the justification.

I tend to write “fat” in the first draft and then put my book on a diet as I edit viciously in the second draft. Thusly, the draft that was once over 44,000 words is now down to 38,000 words. Please keep those stories coming.

If you are still considering sending your first story, or maybe thinking about sending a second one, please keep this in mind: I am looking for stories that tell an inspirational lesson, one that others can learn from. This kind of story does not include tributes. While I have enjoyed reading tributes, I cannot use it unless it includes an obvious “and the moral of the story is…” component.

Dads are finally sending in stories. Although daughters still lead, it is by a much smaller margin. Go dads!

Some of you have sent your stories by email rather than through the website. That’s okay, but if you choose to use that method, please remember to include your name in the email or document. Otherwise, if your email isn’t your name, I will only know you as “chocoholic835” or “boogerdaddy.”

If you have a common name like “Bob: or “Lisa,” please also tell me your middle name. At the moment I have several different Anns, Heathers, Marys, etc., and am not yet sure how to discriminate them one from another.

Thanks to those of you who have dealt with finding a dozen emails from me, each with a list of questions. I appreciate your answers and the help you have extended to clarify your stories.

I will be taking the interior photographs for this book. If you live near Atlanta and would like to pose for a daddy-daughter photo, please contact me. I’ll travel to you and we’ll work together to get the perfect picture of your relationship.

While I still encourage you to send your own photos for inclusion on this blog, please understand that I cannot use your photos in the book itself. It is a copyright issue that just is.

Finally, I realized my chair was not set to its optimum ergo-dynamic height and tilt. I can now write 6 hours a day without thinking I have an alien bursting from between my shoulder blades.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Hello Again Greg!
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! I still want to write a piece for you about my father and I, but it might take me a little while longer. You see, this is the crunch time for me at the end of my semester, and I have had no time for anything but school reports and studying lately. Give me a little more time, and I'll get you a story!

~Whitney