Monday, June 18, 2007

Fathers and Football

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo was taken for my book about adoption, Why I Chose You. I love the expression on that little angel’s face.

I’m sending my first sample chapters to my editor today, hoping for a green light to continue writing Daddy’s Little Girl in the current style and voice I’m using. I’ve really enjoyed weaving your stories with mine; I’ve found there is a lot of a similarity between dads and the things we do and worry about.

So yesterday was Father’s Day. I hope all Daddy’s Girls spent time with dad or did something special in his honor. I called my dad, Jill and I had breakfast with her dad, and Meagan and I spent the afternoon together in an activity that once occupied a lot of our time. She loved painting pottery; I have dozens of dishes she decorated back when $20 would keep her busy for 4 hours. We are working on a matching pair of coffee mugs; she will carry hers to college and think of me as she downs the caffeine during exams. I’ll post a photo once we’ve completed them and they have been fired.

My neighbor told me a sweet story of her husband and four-year-old daughter, Lily. It seems that when she first became aware Daddy left the house each morning to go to work and would then be out of sight for nine hours, she became quite distressed if she did not wave good-bye to him. Waking Lily in time to stand in her window to wave goodbye to dad as he pulled out of the garage was added to mom’s morning routine. She did it for two years, as long as it took for Lily to believe her dad was indeed coming home at the end of each day.

Jill and I knew yesterday would be bittersweet for another neighbor, our dear friend Laura. It would be the first Father’s Day she would spend without her dad, who she lost last fall. We invited her to come over and sit on the front porch for a bit of wine and cheese. She showed up wearing one of her father’s favorite shirts. We had one for you, Gib. We miss you old friend.

I found this mention of my second book in the sports section of the USA Today yesterday:

“Sunday will be special for Miami Dolphins wide receiver Chris Chambers and rookie quarterback John Beck, too. Chambers' son was born March 31, while Beck and his wife had their first child on April 8.

Becoming a father has made Chambers more focused.

‘It's just changed my perspective on life a lot,’ he said. ‘It's going to be good in the long run.’
Some players may have muscle, car or even girlie magazines like "Maxim" mixed in with family photos in their lockers. Chambers has a book — ‘Why a Son Needs a Dad.’”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: