Tuesday, June 12, 2007

An Ocean-wide, a Moment Away

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is of the Bradley dad and daughters; it appears in Thank You, Dad. Greg Bradley was a good sport; he let his girls cover him in leaves over and over again until I got the photo I liked.

Here is a little excerpt from a chapter I wrote yesterday for Daddy’s Little Girl:

“This past summer I took the family to vacation in Key West. One afternoon was devoted to snorkeling over the live coral reef a few miles off shore. It was a windy day with choppy seas, making it a bit difficult to float peacefully in place above the marine life that swam 20-feet below. The current kept pushing Meagan back toward the boat, she couldn’t get out to where the fish were. She was about to give up on the adventure and climb back on-board.

Seeing this I swam to her side, extended my hand, and taking hers into mine as I had so many times in years past when she wanted me to lead her into the unknown, I swam forward, pulling her along with me. Together we swam against the current, skirting between the fingers of the reef looking for fish. Shortly we were pointing out neon blue parrot fish, yellowtail snapper, grouper and pompanos. We were having fun again.

I looked toward my daughter to see if she wanted to go farther up the reef. It was hard to make out but I swear I could see a smile on her lips even as she clamped down on her snorkel.

My kid, the one who now too rarely sits on my lap or kisses me goodnight, was holding my hand. And me? I was comforted giving her comfort there in the middle of the ocean. And I was smiling, too.”

I have updated the Facts About Me section for your reading pleasure.

Now on to reader mail:

“The older I get, the more I appreciate my dad. It wasn't until I moved away from home that I realized, as a college freshman, how smart my dad is. Now he's on speed dial on my cell phone, and I call him for a wide range of advice: how to handle my taxes, whether to include my middle name on my master's diploma, etc. My dad is wired very differently than I am. He is simple and logical; my life is multi-tasked and daring. I appreciate that contrast and recognize it's the reason he can offer me much-needed wisdom such as, ‘Take your time.’"

…and…

“I thought I'd share this with you. I sent my wife (Lisa) a link to your blog and she responded with below comment:

From Lisa: "You are not going to believe this, but this is the guy who wrote the book that Amy picked up before she flew to Houston when dad was declining. When her and I met in Atlanta, we read through most of the book together and cried most of the time. Then after getting to dad's room and settling in, mom joined us and we read every page to dad, while we were sharing memories of each page."

Amy is Lisa's sister. Their dad died over a year ago and your book, Why a Daughter Needs a Dad, was pivotal to their time of loss. They got to their dad’s room just a couple hours before he died, and your book was healing for them all during those last moments. Isn’t it funny how small this world really is and how God brings us all together at just the right moments? Thank you! I am sure this is one of many story of help received from your gift and passion!”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: