Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Quotables


I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photos: The one with the snake is my family, taken on the pier on Miami while we were on vacation two weeks ago. As you can tell, Linley is a bit timid around snakes. The second was sent to me by a young woman in Malaysia; that’s her there with her dad. I think it a bonus how I’m receiving stories from around the world for Daddy’s Little Girl. Yes, the loving father-daughter relationship is an international phenomenon.

I posed this question to my readers a few weeks ago: What do you consider to be the most important life lesson your dad taught you? One daughter answered:

“My dad has taught me so many life lessons, however one that most important to me, that no matter what cards you are dealt in life you can overcome them and do something with yourself. If you are a single parent you can still go to school to make something of yourself to better your family. Your dreams and goals don’t have to stop the minute you become a parent, you just have to work much harder to achieve them, and it’s not easy.

My dad is a perfect example of what I mean. He raised my sisters for quite a number of years before meeting and marrying my mom, however, during that time he worked really hard sometimes holding several jobs just to support his two girls. They went through many trials together and it’s made him a better dad. No matter how hard he worked, they always knew how much they were loved by their father. They didn’t have name brand clothing or many things that they wanted, but he provided food on the table, a roof over their heads, and more importantly they were loved without a doubt.”

I’ve collected quotes from much of the correspondence I’ve received; here’s a few that make me laugh and smile:

“I am his almost 30-something year old daughter and I bet he would still let me sit on his knee and cry in his arms.”

“He snuck a hu-u-uge friggin’ cupcake into my room on the one night ever that Mom sent to bed without dinner.”

“At times you’d love to strangle him, but then it’s difficult when you realize just how soft and loving his soul really is.”

“There are so many questions I have and I always say to myself, dang, my dad would know that.”

“My daddy is a cool dude. He surfed the net on his phone long before I did.”

“My dad’s birthday is on the 19th. My birthday is on the 19th. I like the number 19.”

“He makes sure my eyeballs don’t turn square from watching too much television.”


Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!


No comments: