Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sports Fans

I am searching for inspirational stories and anecdotes about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters, artwork from daughters to dad, or nice shots of smiling daughters of all ages to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

I took today’s photo of my neighbor with her sister and father for the Thank You, Dad book. As I looked at it yesterday I was inspired to write about daughters, dads and sports. Here is a glimpse of what I wrote for Daddy's Little Girl:

“A couple of my neighbors are fanatical Alabama football fans. Every weekend during the fall they are either on the road attending a game or have a few equally enthusiastic fans yelling along with them at the TV in their living room. On one such weekend my wife and I were invited over to meet a few visiting relatives. As I entered the living room I saw my neighbor, her sister and her dad huddled together on the sofa, pom-poms in hands, eyes glued to the screen.

I have to admit, I am not much of a college sports fan. I have nothing against sports but it escapes me why people will spend so much time and money watching a few bulked up young men who probably don’t know each other, and who I presume have no bones to pick with one another or revenge to seek, smash into one another time and time again, while occasionally finding reason to give one another a little pat on the fanny.

My friend suggested I not reveal this opinion of mine to her father, for if he knew, he might smash into me when I least expected it.”

Sometimes I get requests for advice. I received this email recently (identifiers deleted):

“I can barely remember any good times with my dad like the ones you write about. For some reason, I cling so hard to the bad times we experienced. How am I supposed to go about making things better with him? I wish he knew that I love him and have forgiven him. Any suggestions?”

I wrote back:

“Just hold his hand and tell him. I can't image a dad would turn away when his little girl is looking him in the eyes to say what you have to say. It takes courage to take the first step toward healing a relationship, but once you have taken that step, everything else will fall into place. Be brave; tell him how you feel.”

I hope that was the best advice to be given. What do you think?

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: