Friday, July 06, 2007

Crawdads

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is another one from my book, Thank You, Dad. It is of yet another set of neighbors from our ‘hood, the Traynors. Great people.

This week has been busy so I haven’t posted every day. I may not be able to as often in these last two months before the deadline to turn in Daddy’s Little Girl. I’m writing as much as nine hours a day on that project, and it leaves little time for anything else. But thanks for your continued support and visits to this blog!

This is an excerpt from a chapter I’ve written about daddy-daughter adventures:

“One daughter even told me of her fond memories gutting fish and cleaning squirrels alongside her dad, but I’ll save you the nausea and skip the details. I don’t know if it is because dads transfer to daughters some of the things he might have hoped to do had he had a son, or if dads want their daughters to understand that their world isn’t limited to lace and high tea just because she’s a girl. Either way, the truth is, I’ve never received a letter from a daughter who told me of how much she hated being under the open sky with her dad.

Speaking of open skies, I also heard from a dad in Southern California who is fascinated with astronomy. In 1995 a new comet was discovered outside of Jupiter's orbit. It was the farthest comet ever discovered by amateurs and appeared 1000 times brighter than Comet Halley did at the same distance. Steve found out when and where it would be visible in his area and then planned to take his six-year-old daughter to see it as it passed through the night sky.

He told me of how they climbed to the top of a steep hill where the town’s water tower stood. It was a fall night and they waited for dusk to come, gazing to the northwest where the comet was to appear. Sure enough, as the sun went down, they saw the comet in the northwestern sky, traveling low over the hills on the outskirts of Pasadena.

The celestial event lasted only moments, but the memories will last a lifetime. Now, a dozen years later, they still talk about that comet and the night they shared a once in a lifetime experience.

I wondered what natural wonder I may have introduced Meagan and Linley to that they might remember for years to come. A vacation a few summers ago came to mind.

We stopped in the Arcadia National Forest in Maine to climb to the top of a rock formation and look out over the bay – there was the city of Bar Harbor below, Nova Scotia on the horizon, and the Atlantic Ocean for as far as you could see. Jill and I marveled.

I looked over my shoulder, certain I would see that the girls were as impressed with the view as we were. I spotted Meagan busy sending a text-message from her phone and Linley holding the portable DVD player, taking care not to miss a single scene of Moulin Rouge.

Determined to make sure we left Maine with at least one worthwhile memory, I took the family to eat just-out-of-the-ocean lobster on the fisherman’s pier. You should have seen the waitress when I asked her to show the kids how to crack lobster, explaining that as southerners we were well versed in the fine cuisine of fried “coon and ‘possum,” with biscuits and milk gravy, but we knew nothing about eatin’ giant crawdads.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: