Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Little Gems

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is of another neighbor, a real sweetie who has posed for me several times. Here dad’s name is Allen Sheppard, but she is quick to point out, “he’s not the astronaut.”

Here are few more little gems I’ve received during this writing adventure:

“When I was much younger, he’d cut my hair for me. One evening I remember him cutting my bangs while we were sitting in the family room watching TV. He was sitting on the couch and I sat in front of him while he cut away. We both started to laugh and I ended up with the shortest bangs you have ever seen. I wouldn’t let him cut my hair after that!”

“When I was a little girl, Dad and I would take a brisk walk through town after supper each evening. Sometimes Dad’s friend would join us. During our walks they pretended to be playing band instruments, making all kinds of silly gestures and noises in front of my friends. Embarrassed, I pledged never to join them again, but the next evening – I walked with Dad again - because it was our time.”

“I remember being a small girl, standing at my daddy’s feet waiting for him to finish making my favorite breakfast, cheese eggs. I can still see his smile as he scooped them onto my plate, and I could not eat them fast enough. I was the luckiest girl in the world; this was the best time of my life. I was my daddy’s little tomboy.

Years have gone by and some childhood memories have faded. But looking back these are the things I can say my dad taught me: to dance to the beat of the music, always drive wearing a seatbelt, to fly a plane (we lived to tell about it), and enjoy the finest breads. I cannot go by a bread store without stopping, savoring the aroma and thinking of my dad. And he taught me to love peanut butter with cheddar cheese sandwiches at bedtime.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: