Thursday, July 26, 2007

Memories

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

After spending time browsing through the Meagan Box one morning, I asked my readers to tell me of their favorite memories. What follows are a few of the many responses I quickly received, each too short for a stand-alone story, but together, more evidence of the power and importance of fond daddy-daughter memories:

“My dad thought that sports would make his children better people if they knew how to be a member of a team. At the age of five I began playing T- ball; Dad was my coach. I loved seeing him helping out other children while at the same time he was there to watch me play. I went on to play softball in junior high, and once again Dad was my coach. He taught me everything he knew about the game. Not only did he teach me how to play softball, but also volleyball, basketball, and football. He was always proud of me whether my team won or lost, he was just glad I did my best.”

“Sometimes days go by and I don't even think about my dad, but then something will trigger a memory and make me just want to cry. Today I heard a song he used to sing to me; I started missing him so bad that my chest ached. I remember him singing this song to me, so nasal and out of tune, but he meant every word of it.”“My Dad taught me the fun of fishing in an old row boat on a glorious, summer afternoon. He became excited as he showed me a candy bar could have five different flavors under one same wrapper. Dad introduced me to the unforgettable aroma of Mulligan Stew, and he insisted we get a puppy because a puppy would grow into a family dog who would give years of love and companionship. I could go on and on….”

“The simplest things make me smile when I remember my time spent with Dad. He taught me many things, like the importance of saving money, even if it were only a penny. Together we collected pennies for five years and when we finally rolled them all up, we had over $300. I’m now twenty-nine and completely unable to walk past a dropped penny!”

“I think the most important lesson he passed on to me was to love your children everyday not by just saying I Love You but actually doing something to show it. When I started school I had some rough days. Dad would take me on long walks in the afternoon so we could talk about my troubles. The walks always ended at a local bakery where I would have a piece of carrot cake and apple juice.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: