Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Green Midget

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

Now on to today’s post…

Today's photo is of Reese, my neighbor and model next door.

Part 1 of Patty’s story:

“When my oldest sister began college at our local University, she and Daddy discussed his college career. Being raised in the backwoods of Canada, hunting and trapping, he had moved away from home at 16 and held down two jobs so he could attend high school in a larger town that had one. When he joined the Army, he began taking college courses, but never finished his degree. My older sister encouraged him to attend school with her, thinking this was something they could share. My father jumped at the chance.

They began taking courses together, studying together in the evenings, and comparing grades. I don’t know which of them enjoyed this more. Then my sister moved to California to marry and Daddy stopped attending college … until my turn.

When I decided to stay at home for my first year in college, I began attending our local university, as my sister had. Daddy decided it would be fun to study with me, also, so he went to visit the Registrar. He was told that he had enough credits for two Bachelor’s degrees, but none of his core curriculum and not enough credits in any one field to declare a Major. So he and I began taking our core together. He’d get me up in the morning and, while I was dressing, he’d warm up my car for me. On my way out the door, he’d put a cup of hot tea, just the way I liked it, in my hands to drink on the way to school. We would always take different routes to see who got there first. I drove a little green MG midget that fit perfectly in a half-parking space in the first row in the parking lot. One day, Daddy beat me to the campus, parked and walked over to my space. A woman in a large sedan was just pulling into the space next to my usual one, but she parked a little over the line. My father tapped on her window.

“Excuse me, Ma’am, but a little green car is going to be pulling in here any minute and needs to park next to you. Do you suppose you could back out and pull your car a little further to the left to make room?”

The astonished woman did as he asked and was just turning off her car when I pulled into my half-space, jumped out, and joined Daddy for our walk to class.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: