Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Insights

I’m writing a new book, my 19th, that is a compilation of inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

For more information about my writing background, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com.

Now on to today’s post…

This from a daughter:

“My dad was always there, he was my hero, my mother, father, friend, nanny, brother just everything and he still is. He always told me how beautiful I was and intelligent, I always felt perfect. My experiences are just too many but I’ll settle for this one.

I must say I was kind of a stubborn child and wanted to have and actually had things my way 99% of the time. Once I was going back to boarding school, my dad gave me what I considered a ridiculous amount of money, I just couldn’t take it, it was too small for me and my taste. So I was trying to object, he threw it at me, I felt my dad had done the worse thing ever, so I left the money on the ground of his room and went straight to my friend’s house whose driver dropped us in school, our school was 3 hours away. Next morning at 8am my dad was in my school very worried and of course with the exact amount of money I had demanded! Note I said demanded because now I know how unreasonable and selfish I was.

Looking back now I realise how selfless my dad was, he loved us all unconditionally, it wasn’t the money. It was the fact that he felt he had hurt me. He put everything on hold, woke up real early to be at my school. Living in a country where female children were not to be “invested in”, he still single handily raised me and my 7 sisters, we lacked nothing. He never got himself anything new; he just lived for us all and our happiness. Even when we started to get our first pay cheques, he insisted we use the money wisely, he didn’t want any of it, and we should get all the things he couldn’t get for us.

I love my dad very much, He’s a lawyer and so am I, am married now and all grown up but I secretly believe that no man can measure up to him. He was and still is my hero.”

And this from a dad:

“A daughter is like a fragile, delicate butterfly that momentarily lands on your outstretched hand, pauses -- flexing her wings -- and then continues on her erratic flight. As you watch, fascinated, she continues onward and upward -- reaching heights you cannot attain, going farther than you can travel. In her fragility is her strength, and in her transience is our heartbreak. If you watch her carefully and humbly, she will teach you much.

I have the great fortune of a son and a daughter, with a space of eight years between them. My son, Kevin, is the elder. He could be stubborn and willful. He would debate long and loudly his viewpoint. Disciplining him took both hands on the tiller, like an unruly ship in rough seas. Decibels ruled.

On the other hand, Erin taught me early on the futility of my manly bravado.

When Erin was a preteen, after a long-forgotten disagreement, I forcefully dictated she go to her room. She pivoted from me, and in slow motion hung her head, drifting down the hallway. I watched as she painstakingly stopped, turned, and looked at me. A single tear worked its way down her cheek and fell to the floor. Silently she disappeared into her room.

I stood alone in the living room and marveled at what had just transpired. From that point on I never chastised her so forcefully. I learned the power of gentleness.

She had taught me a valuable lesson that daughters are different than sons and must be treated as such. I realized that daughters are not only to be encouraged, protected and enjoyed; they are also to be cherished and loved.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: