Friday, August 17, 2007

Little Things, Big Memories

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

Now on to today’s post…

“At one time I cut my own hair. I didn’t think highly of paying a stylist; my own clippers where good enough for me, and when I was away from home and found myself needing a haircut, any old barber would do. Meagan and Linley didn’t understand this about me; they both once agreed I had the hair-do of a weather man nearing an overdue retirement.

They, on the other hand, are always looking forward to their next hair appointment. They both have a zillion bottles of bath and body products, nearly all of which are designed for use with their hair. Both would willingly make the Pope late for Mass as they blocked the vestibule while standing in a mirror adjusting and readjusting a single stand of hair until it finally fell into its destined place.

The time and effort those two natural beauties put into trying to be even more beautiful was something I didn’t understand about them.”

and…

“One evening during a neighborhood picnic a fellow down the street told me he had recently waved at Meagan at a traffic light. After asking me how comfortable or nervous I am knowing that she is driving in Atlanta’s congested traffic, he told me of how he is beginning to let his seventeen-year-old daughter drive her car alone, but only when he can follow closely behind her in his own car so that he can keep an eye on her.

I remembered my mom’s comment about Meagan not being a little girl anymore. I turned to his daughter who was standing nearby and while making a scissor cutting motion with my fingers, I said, ‘It sounds like we need to cut through some apron strings.’

‘I think you’re going to need hedge clippers,’ she said.”

and…

“Jennifer didn’t understand at first but listened as best she could while licking vanilla icing from her fingers. Her dad said that everybody has their own personal rules, and one person cannot possibly follow everybody else’s rules. He said that she couldn’t be her own person by following rules her whole life and that it would do her some good to break a few now and then. He wanted his daughter to break one rule every day; that as long as breaking that rule doesn’t hurt anybody, it was okay.

After their talk, Dad and Jennifer sat by a window and talked about the planes that went by. They agreed that Mom shouldn’t know about the cupcake, since she was the one that really sent her to bed without dinner.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: