Thursday, August 23, 2007

Love Stories






I’m writing a new book, my 19th, that is a compilation of inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

For more information about my writing background, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com.

Now on to today’s post…

Hurrah! My most recent book, “Why I Still Love You,” is in the Cumberland House warehouse. It should be in stores by mid-September. The photos above are from this book, a celebration of lasting love.

I was asked to write a paragraph explaining why I decided to write Daddy’s Little Girl. This is it:

“My reasons for writing Daddy’s Little Girl are twofold. Firstly, my daughter Meagan is now a high school senior preparing to enter college. Nearly every day we are reminded that in just over a year she will not only leave home, but our community as well. For her, this book is a reflection on the times we’ve spent together since I wrote Why a Daughter Needs a Dad, and a reminder that though she may leave the nest, she can never leave my heart. Secondly, my step-daughter, Linley, has now lived nearly three years with me and is embracing a new kind of daddy-daughter relationship, one that can be had with a step-dad. For her, this book is a promise that she can have as much of me as she wants; in these stories I hope she sees just how much that can be.”

A few stories sent to me by loving daughters:

“My dad is a funny guy with a great sense of humor. There were times we'd go to like McDonald's and he'd ask for Whooper, or Wendy's and ask for a Big Mac. He was doing it completely on purpose and yet looking serious. In my early teen years our family would go to a small lake that had a pier out over the deep end. It also had a floating deck with a slide, and just a fun place to cool off during the hot summer. One time I had a couple of friends there with us and we're sitting on the deck just talking. My dad is just be-bopping along the pier, when he acts like he trips and falls off the edge into the water with a big splash. My friends are laughing thinking my dad is a big klutz, but that was my silly dad acting up again.”

and…

“My most vivid memory of my father is when he would take me shopping. We would go into town and visit all his favorite stores. I also felt so important because he frequently asked my opinions regarding his purchases. Since my father never met a stranger, each of the store clerks and owners loved to see him come through their doors. During these trips, I looked up to him as if he was the mayor of the city! And, at the end of our shopping trips, I usually managed to bring something special home for myself!

My father and I continue to share a special bond. We seem to know what each other are thinking and are emotionally connected. He has always been there for me and has never let me down. I love him very much. For as long as I live, I will always be my Daddy’s little girl.”

and…

“Dad taught me that parenting is about affection, not perfection. For me, this awareness brings resiliency: the strength to dream — and pursue my dreams — knowing I can trust the safety of my father's love. If I ever have children of my own, I hope I can give them as much love and strength as my dad has given me.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!




No comments: