Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Open Skies

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

I’m also collecting photos of dads and daughters to display on this blog. If you’d like to submit one, please email it to greg.lang@mindspring.com.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Today’s photo is one I took recently of Frank and his daughter for my new book, Daddy’s Little Girl. I had him running around quite a bit to get this photo, but he was a good sport about it. He, too, believes every daughter needs an active dad in her life. Cheers!

Here is another sample ( a slightly rewritten version of an earlier post):

“One daughter told me of how patiently her dad instructed her on how to put a live shrimp on a fishing hook. Did you know that shrimp have a central nervous system? I didn’t. But now I know that if you hook them just right, they still wiggle in the water. Thanks to that dad, I can’t eat shrimp without thinking I’m paralyzing the little critter as I bite into each one.

I’ve never taken Meagan fishing because she refuses to be an accomplice in the high crime of ramming a hook through the guts of a worm. To my surprise, though, it seems many dads and daughters have spent plenty of quality time snatching fish out of water. Well, most dads never really got a chance to fish. Instead, he baited hooks, untangling fishing lines, removed fish from hooks, and above all, kept his daughter safe from the danger of falling out of the boat.

Dads nearly always seem to be fascinated with the outdoors. Maybe we are all Eagle Scout wannabes, but for whatever reason, we eventually drag our daughters into the woods on a hike or camping trip.

Heather’s dad taught her plenty of things about nature. With a wild flower book in hand whenever they went for a ride in the Northern Arizona forest, he pointed out his favorite flora, an Indian Paint Brush or Lupine, and proclaim its beauty. Heather loved it whenever he wanted to stop for a moment of peace and quiet, perhaps to sit by a pond and just listen and admire what God had made. By her dad’s side, she, too, came to love nature.

Lynn told me about her fond memories of going camping with her older sister and their dad on top of a small mountain. He showed them how to set up their tent and cook on an open fire, and as night fell, they rested on their backs on a big blanket and watch the stars come out. Dad pointed out the constellations and they watched for shooting stars until both his girls grew sleepy. Settling into her sleeping bag for the night, Lynn remembers being frightened as she listened to the wind blowing through the trees, but then remembered her daddy was sleeping alongside of her. Comforted, Lynn closed her eyes and easily fell fast asleep. Today, years later, she thinks of that weekend all the time.


I don’t know if it is because dads transfer to their daughters some of the things he might have hoped to do had he had a son, or if dads want their daughters to understand that their world isn’t limited to lace and high tea just because she’s a girl, but either way, I’ve never met a daughter who would tell me of how much she hated being under the open sky with her dad.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: