Thursday, August 09, 2007

Part II

I am searching for inspirational stories about father-daughter relationships, stories that share wisdom, teach moral and important life lessons, and give others insight into how to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving and fulfilling father-daughter relationship.

If you are a father or a daughter, I want to hear about your parent-child relationship experiences. For more information about submitting your story, please visit my website, www.gregoryelang.com, and click the red corner on the home page, just beneath the “Projects” tab.

Now on to today’s diary entry…

Part 2 of Patty’s story:

“Our state had a requirement that all Freshmen, upon completion of basic English, were required to take an Exam, known as the English 101 Final. It was scheduled on a Saturday morning and all English students would take it at the same time in different classrooms. The Exam consisted of several timed essays on topics given us on the test as well as a grammar section. Daddy and I were both required to take the 101 Exam, but were in different classes. Our professors warned us that the test usually had a current affairs topic, so Daddy and I studied together and briefed each other on all the current events we could think of. We went into our finals well-prepared and confident.

My exam was being administered in a different building than Dad’s. The essays were the first part of the test, then we had a 15 minute break before jumping into the Grammar section. I took off for Daddy’s classroom, only to discover he wasn’t there.

“Perhaps he went to the snack bar for a cup of coffee,” I reasoned. When I walked into the snack bar, Daddy was sitting at a table with two cups of coffee, smiling. He knew I’d come, and he was ready with a cup of coffee for me, too. We talked excitedly about what topics we had chosen for our essays and how we thought we did before returning to our respective classrooms to finish the Exam.

A week later I went to see my professor to get my score. I got an ‘A’. As pleased as I was, I had to know how my father had done. About 50 percent of English 101 students failed this Exam, and I was dying to know if my father had missed the bullet. I asked my professor if he’d give me my father’s grade.

“You know that’s against the rules, Patti,” he said. “I could get in a lot of trouble if I violated your father’s privacy by giving you his score.”

“I know,” I responded, “but I don’t know when he’s going to have time to get his own grade from his professor, and I’ve just got to know if he passed.”

“Do you know his social security number?” he asked. I rattled it off and he told me that Daddy had passed.

I ran to the nearest payphone and dialed my father’s office number. As soon as he answered, without any preamble, I yelled into the phone, “Guess what?”

“You got an ‘A’!” Daddy answered. It didn’t sound like he was guessing.

“How did you know?” I asked, incredulous.

“I got my professor to give me your grade,” he answered.

“And I got mine to give me your grade!” We both laughed, pleased with our own scores, but even more pleased with each other’s.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

No comments: