Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Closing In

HarperOne asked me to write a paragraph explaining why I wrote Daddy's Little Girl, and to answer a few trivia questions, all to help their marketing and sales people understand who I am. This is what I wrote:

"My reasons for writing Daddy’s Little Girl are twofold. Firstly, my daughter Meagan is now a high school senior preparing to enter college. Nearly every day we are reminded that in just over a year she will not only leave home, but our community as well. For her, this book is a reflection on the times we’ve spent together since I wrote Why a Daughter Needs a Dad, and a reminder that though she may leave the nest, she can never leave my heart. Secondly, my step-daughter, Linley, has now lived nearly three years with me and is embracing a new kind of daddy-daughter relationship, one that can be had with a step-dad. For her, this book is a promise that she can have as much of me as she wants; in these stories I hope she sees just how much that can be. "

1. Name the two people—living or dead—you would most like to invite to dinner at your house. What would you discuss?

Benjamin Franklin and Pablo Picasso. They both changed the way people look at the world. I’d like to know what was on their minds when they began to realize the impact and reach of their labors.

2. Of the seven deadly sins (pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, and sloth) which one is the hardest for you to resist?

Gluttony – I’m a fool for foie gras, traditional Japanese sushi, Shiraz, and my wife.

3. If you could live in another time and place, where and when would that be?

In Independence Hall, in Philadelphia in 1776. What it must have been like to change the world with the simple signing of your name.

4. Who is your oldest friend?

If you mean oldest in duration, then my cousin, Jeff, who is ten days older than me. We began life living next door to one another. If “oldest” is as in old fart, then my dad, who is 70. We share the same birthday.

5. What are you reading right now?

Nine Questions. Oh, I meant 101 Best Scenes Ever Written by Barnaby Conrad.

6. What is your favorite book of all time?

I don’t have a favorite book. I love the Allman Brothers, though.

7. What do you consider to be your first piece of writing?

My dissertation, wherein I concluded women are more powerful in relationships than men. Just the other night while watching Dr. Phil (my wife’s decision) Jill said:
“You’re the head of our household.”
“I don’t rule over you,” I responded.
“Exactly,” she said, “that’s why I let you be in charge.”
See what I mean?

8. What were some of the challenges or surprises in writing this book?

It is the first book where I’ve worked with other people’s material rather than write my own, which in the past has been largely autobiographical content.

9. What do you find most rewarding about being an author?

It gives me the opportunity to be at home with the girls after school and all summer. Of course sometimes that’s a pain in the butt, too.

No comments: