Thursday, September 13, 2007

Done!!!

Whew! I had just finished another proof read when I heard from my Editor; she needed the manuscript as soon as I could get it in in order to make the deadline for a new launch date. The book, Daddy's Little Girl, is now coming out in February instead of April. Good news for me except that it narrows the window for making changes in the event she wants a rewrite of any kind. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!

Here's the details of the final draft:

43,387 words
252 double spaced pages
87 stories
87 proverbs
56 photographs
23 touching quotes taken from your correspondence with me

I've seen a mock-up of the book and it looks great! I haven't seen the cover design yet, but I'm hopeful one of my photos will be used for that purpose.

I want to thank all the fathers and daughters who told me heartwarming, poignant and sometimes difficulty stories about their daddy-daughter relationship. Without their willingness to share the details of their lives, this book could not have been written. Every story told to me did not make it into the final draft, but every story helped me tremendously in each word I wrote. Furthermore, my life is richer now because of the relationships I’ve made with those who so generously and patiently dealt with me probing into their lives. I hope to take you all up on your offers to stop by for dinner. And if you are ever in Duluth, please have a seat on the porch with me. I’m sure there is plenty we could talk about.

I also want to thank my family, friends and neighbors who stayed patient with me as I posed, reposed, and posed them again in a vain effort to capture the perfect photographs to illustrate this book. Thank you all for being the faces to accompany my words.

Somebody please call Oprah!

3 comments:

Tink said...

Congratulations!

Can you give us a list of all story titles? I'm sure you've had a lot of entries, and all of us are at the edge of our seats waiting to find out if our individual stories have been used or not. That, or we'll get a late Christmas gift when the book hits the shelves in February.

Relax! You deserve it!

Ginny said...

Months ago when Paul Cummings put me in touch with you, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to sit down, think about, and put into words a glimpse of my dad,and the quiet, steady gift of love he unconditionally shared with me every single day...without fail. And now your book is "Done!!!"...I'm so happy for you...Congratulations!!!

Ginny said...

As for calling Oprah...years ago Oprah's Features Editor bought my grandparents' home...and she's a very nice lady...if only that would help!!