Thursday, September 27, 2007

Each came as his name was called.


Another recent story (unedited):

“My dad was (& is) such a wonderful father in so many ways that its hard to narrow down a favorite memory. I would have to say that one of the things I enjoyed most was our “Father/Daughter dates” that my dad initiated when I first started high school. I was going through a slightly rebellious time in life (as most teenage girls seem to do) and my parents were always supportive and loving despite my behavior. My dad was determined to stay on top of how I was doing (as well as continuously show his love) so in addition to other things, he started our lunch dates. He would pick me up from school during my lunch hour and take me to a restaurant of my choice and basically allow us to have some one on one father daughter time. We would use those times to catch up on the latest and just enjoy each others company. We had those dates several times a month over the course of my high school years and with the help of my dad’s devotion, I managed to stay on the straight & narrow & pull out of the rebellious stage that could have led me down a different path in life. I will always cherish those “dates” and appreciate my dad for being such an important part of my life.

On a different note, I am now the proud mother of a little girl (with another on the way) and its so great to watch my husband show the type of love & attention to our daughter that I received growing up. It’s a nice & refreshing feeling to know that my daughters will be able to look back on their own father/daughter times and have many happy memories like I do. My husband is serving in the Army and is getting ready for his second deployment to Iraq, which will cause him to miss the birth of our 2nd daughter as well as so many precious moments with our girls. However I must say that I have watched him show so much love and dedication to our daughter in the few months he’s actually been able to spend with her and I know that when he’s able to be a constant part of their lives, he’s going to be just as good a dad to them as my father was (& is) to me!!”

And now in response to Richard:

I’ve always been artistically preoccupied, dating back to elementary school. I majored in Art and Biology while an undergrad, hoping to become a medical illustrator, but eventually chose a different career path. I worked my way through college as a jewelry designer and have nearly always carried a camera with me, taking photos everywhere I go. Writing came much later; I didn’t write until 1998. Now that I am a full-time author, I have time to return to my artistic roots; these photos are just an exploration, my attempt to find my vision if you will. I’ll continue to write but will also pursue photography to see where that will take me.

Today’s photo is an example of what is in my portfolio, a body of work I am submitting to a show about southern photography. This pic comes from a series that are sort of Flannery O’Conner inspired, just good country people fearing God. I call it, “Each came as his name was called.” This photo is a combination of vintage photos I’ve digitized, and photos I’ve taken with both film and digital cameras. Enjoy.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

Today's photo...It draws me in so much that I can smell the air and hear sounds if any, and it is past present and future all in one.