Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Book Update

I heard from my Editor last night – and all is well. She likes the book, it is in copyedit now, then will be sent to me for review, and from here will go into production. Its official release date (when it ships to stores) is February 6th, and will be available shortly thereafter, once it has been shipped, received, unpacked and shelved. Exciting!

A few of the chapters I submitted have been deleted, a necessary measure to make the book fit within the page limit that can be accommodated within the production budget. Twenty-seven photos are going to be included, about half of what I sent, but I won’t know which ones until I see the proof copy. I’ll post on this blog those photos that were dropped from the book once I know which they are. I’ll also post those chapters that were dropped beginning this Thursday.

As some of you know, I used pseudonyms when story-tellers had common names like Ron, Steve, Amy and Jenny. This was done to make sure the reader didn’t get confused and think the same person named Amy told three or four different stories. I’ve come to realize that all the stories in the book include at least two people, sometimes more, and to avoid identifying someone against their wishes, all names are being changed to pseudonyms. I hope you understand.

Here is another unedited story for your entertainment:

“The public scene happened when I was a few years older than 12. I had a full time job at this point at our local grocery store. I worked at the customer service counter and at the registers, so I was quite a busy gal, especially at the end of the workday…which just happened to be the time that mom & dad stopped in. Dad works for the local telephone company where they live, so he is well known by many people in the community. I’m not sure, though, if that would have really stopped him in this situation. I was working away, knowing that mom & dad where somewhere in the store, when all of a sudden I heard dad’s whistle. I looked up at him across the front register area (there were six register’s in this area, so not so big, but big enough to have a lot of people there!) and when I made eye contact with him, he proceeded to holler, “Jenny! Do you want me to buy more of these band-aid things for you?!?” What was he holding up in the air? A package of maxi pads. I smiled and hollered back, “No, thanks, Dad! I’m good!” “Okay,” he said. Of course, everyone chuckled. Amazingly, I wasn’t too embarrassed. I remember thinking at that moment that I was quite lucky to have the dad that I do.

So, that’s a small picture of my dad. Of course, there are several other things that I have appreciated his help for through the years. I jokingly call him my financial advisor, because I know that I never have to be afraid to ask him financial questions and to get his advice. No matter how bad my debt is, I always enjoy talking to dad about it and figuring out how to tackle things in a sensible manner. Truthfully, I can talk to my dad about anything. We often have good heart-to-hearts and I’m so thankful for that!

A few years ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and it about tore my dad apart. It was completely curable, but at 21, it’s not the kind of news you or your family expect to hear. It was the first time in my life that I saw my dad cry on a regular basis. I have no doubt that if he could, he would have taken the cancer battle away and dealt with it himself. Anything to protect his daughter. It makes me cry just thinking about all that dad would do just to protect me. Not many girls/women have ever experienced that and it makes my heart ache to think of what they’ve missed out on.”

Well, I guess that’s enough for today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Now go out and hug somebody!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I knew she would like it! It must be rather hard, though, to have chapters and pictures deleted after working so intensely to put them together just so...but I suppose that's all part of the process, right? Anyway, I'm sure you're relieved and pleased. I can't wait to see the finished product!!
Ginny