Thursday, December 13, 2007

Awesome Power

Last night Jill and I visited with our neighbors and friends, Keith and Carol. What was planned to be a 30 minute visit turned into 4 hours filled with laughter and disclosure. We had a grand time talking about much, including how I became a writer, which always leads to a discussion of the awesome power of God. I told Keith my little story and of how I captured it in a little paragraph in a book. Here it is:

"A book about giving thanks to parents would not be complete with also giving thanks to my Heavenly Father. I confess, I sometimes succumb to human nature and think to myself it was my research, talent and perseverance that resulted in my success as an author. The truth is, however, years ago I was lost and in despair, and I had not an ounce of experience in creative writing. One evening in a prayer I asked for help and then did my best to go forward with hope. Soon certain events began to transpire - like a friend telling me of a successful little book that eventually inspired me to write; my introduction to Janet Lankford-Moran, the photographer who helped me complete my first book; meeting Ron Pitkin, my publisher, who coincidentally but not known to me until later, was the publisher of the successful little book that got me started in the first place; and then there are all those events in my life that have been the fabric with which my stories about love, faith, forgiveness and duty are woven. And now my book about thanks, the only one that has closed with a testimonial such as this, is in your hands. Coincidence? Serendipity? Chance? I think not. I once was lost, but now I’m found. Thank you God."

It is the season of Thanksgiving and Praise. Go now into your day and don't waste a moment of it, nor pass up an opportunity to let your voice of gratitude be heard.

No comments: